Carr vs DrZ vs Victoria

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by righthandman, Nov 8, 2005.

1. righthandman

righthandman Member

Here's the deal: I lost my Z MAZ 38 to Hurricane Katrina. In trying to replace it I've met a guy with a Carr Rambler 212, Z MAZ 18NR 212 with Tone Tubby speakers, and a Victoria Double Deluxe. I'd like to hear whatever anyone can offer up about these amps--if you had one of them how was the headroom, did you have any issues with it, did it take pedals well, etc. I'm familiar with the Z sound and I love it, I've only played the Carr once and thought it was awesome, I've yet to see the Vicky. So any thoughts would be appreciated. FWIW I play jazz, rock, blues, funk on teles, lp's and 335's. So I need something versitile. Thanks a lot.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

not sure about the double deluxe, but the Maz 18 and Rambler will not have as much headroom as your Maz 38. If you need headroom, I'd get something closer to your Maz 38.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I don't know about the versatility of it but I can say that the Double Deluxe is a lot closer to the Z28 than the Maz Jr. When cranked the Z28 and DD sound almost identical tthrough the same speakers.

The DD sounds GREAT with a 335 btw.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the rambler i had was TOTALLY averse to overdrive pedals. only my Cornish SS-2 was close to sounding remotely good.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

really? Jae, mine worked well with Barber & FD OD's, quite well, actually.

6. Rick0

Rick0 Member

righthandman,
    Haven't had the pleasure of trying the Double Deluxe. I've played the Maz 18 and think that it sounds great. I own a Carr and have a few Rambler clips posted if you are interested. I find the clean headroom to be more than sufficient for my needs and it works very well with pedals. It's a toneful amp. The clips are at: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3820&alid=-1
    (First clip, #5, & #6)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea,

i was quite bummed. the cleans were simply unreal, and yet when i'd add an overdrive pedal, all i got was transistory pedal. :(

but i guess i should mention mine was a slightly older one.

8. Curly

Curly Member

Well, you know the drill ... you have to play each of them to really decide.

I got a Vicky Double Deluxe recently, and I love it. I went and played several Vickys, as well as some other amps, and came away very impressed with the Double D - a warm, responsive tweed amp, with a twist on on old tried and true design.

However, I'm mostly a blues type player. Although this amp is perfect for me, it may not have all the versatility you want. You can change the rectifier for more clean headroom though.
    I think that several of the tweed amps are better with single coils, but others might disagree.

I have less experience with the Z18, and none with the Rambler, so I won't comment on those. A friend of mine had a Rambler and loved it, but this amp is a blues amp, so again, I'm not sure how "versatile" you'd find it.

good luck in your quest

9. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Sorry to ask, curiosity brews...

What do you mean you lost it to Katrina?

Did you leave it at home and your house got flooded out?
    you house was looted and the looter couldn't resist a Dr Z amp waiting to be played...?

Just curious...

-Frank

10. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

I had the double deluxe, and it didn't work for me. I was expecting it to sound like a deluxe, and although it sounded good for overdrive, there was none of the sparkle/presence/zing that I like in the tweed deluxe.

11. righthandman

righthandman Member

On the morning we evacuated (Saturday, the day before the storm hit) my wife and I loaded one car with our dogs and our other car with as many of my guitars as would cram into the back of a Honda Civic. There just wasn't room for the Z so I put it in a plastic bag and set it on top of the kitchen table, thinking we might get a few feet of water but it might stay dry. We lived in one of the lowest lying parts of the New Orleans area and we got about 12 feet of water after the levees broke. We were also fairly close to an oil refinery that sprung a major leak. Everything in the house was completely destroyed and it's now covered in mold. We went back a couple of weeks ago and the only thing we could salvage was the wife's wedding china. No such luck for the Z.

12. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Horrible story righthandman, I guess you never could've predicted how high the waters were going to be...

well, the reason I asked...it sounds like pretty much everything is gone...but if you still have the Z and you wanted to get something for it to offset the costs of a replacement amp, the chassis and transformers might be salvagable for a DIY build...shoot me an email if interested (if you even have it still)...

-Frank