Carr vs Zinky vs Mesa vs Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ungarn, Oct 12, 2005.

Carr vs Zinky vs Mesa vs Orange

1. Carr Hammerhead

2. Zinky Blue Velvet

3. Mesa Lonestar Special

4. Orange Rocker 30

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ungarn

ungarn Member

I really liked the Carr Hammerhead (Mk 1) I played recently, but I am curious how it stacks up to 3 other amps. I am searching for a low watt 1x12 combo that has good cleans, and that saturated singing tube gain. I mostly play blues to hard rock. These 4 amps are in the ballpark as far as price, but there is some wiggle room between them. Please make a note if there are any others that should be considered.

Thanks!

-Thad

1. Carr Hammerhead
    2. Zinky Blue Velvet
    3. Mesa Lonestar Special
    4. Orange Rocker 30

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!

3. Swirl

Swirl Member

I played a Carr Hammerhead MkII yesterday and I was absolutely blown away. Gorgeous midrange. It isntantly became a must have amp for me.

4. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have to mention the Valvetech VAC.

It covers the blues/rock through heavy rock terrain really well.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The SMF series II is an awesome 2/EL84 channel switcher with 2 channels, Reverb, in a 1/12 combo designed by Mark Samson of Matchless/ Bad Cat.....Really Nice cleans and OD..Way better than the boogie Lonestars....they are real flat sounding...The SMF sounds and feels like a $3000.00 high end boutique amp, and you can find them for around $1200.00...actually, there's 1 on ebay

6. ungarn

ungarn Member

Views: 250
    Poll Votes: 25

Only 10% of those viewing the post voted!

-Thad

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i too am interested in the orange rocker 30. im confused...i read everywhere that it doesnt have verb, but on the orange site it says something about it having verb....WTF?

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

I'm pretty sure the Orange Rocker 30 combo (and now head) do not have reverb. Otherwise it would have been called an Orange Rockerverb 30 like the 50 and 100 watt models.

Talk about parity in the poll! No clear winner...even more reason to try them all out!

Thanks for voting everyone,

-Thad

9. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Haven't heard the Carr, but A/B'd the Orange Rocker 30 (no verb)and the Zinky Blue Velvet. Wound up buying the BV, though would have been happy with either. BV was more versatile for my situation. Has a global MV (gets great sounds at night-time volume levels); it is lighter; it is cheaper. All were all critical for me. Added bonus - I've never used reverb before (just delay pedals), but really liked the BV's (tube driven), and leave it on most of the time. The Rocker 30 did sound really good, and its natural channel is a really cool concept. Both amps look cool, too!

Both amps sounded really great compared to the 15 or so other 1x12 combos I tried; made them all sound like toys. Didn't try the Genz Benz El Diablo 60 or the Lone Star Special, though I couldn't imagine being dissatisfied with either. I was afraid that if I liked them I wouldn't be able to get them due to their back-breaking weight, so I never tried them out. I finally went back last month to test-drive them, but the dealers were out and had them on order. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to hear them and will report on them after they come in.

Try them all if you can, and enjoy your tone trials.

10. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I'm guessing that number of people read the choices and realized they hadn't played all four of those amps, to vote fairly. Those aren't amps you see around everywhere, after all. :)

11. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Very true, James. But since I had the opportunity to try them two of them out, I thought I'd at least give some viewpoints on both. Nothing negative about either amp, just each may be more better suited to one's needs than the other. Probably the same with the other amps he's interested in. Just wish we had a Carr and Peters dealers around here...

And you're right, those of us not near an urban area will sadly never get a chance to hear or try all the equipment that we read about here. There could be some real gems out there that most of us will never know about that could put us over the top sonically.

12. glynn

glynn Member

I wont vote as I've only played on one of the amps in the poll. I would hope that others are doing the same.

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

+1 for the Hammerhead 2. I haven't tried the others, but the Carr sounds amazing, especially with the new cabs/speakers that go along with the head.

14. ungarn

ungarn Member

Sounds good...my local dealer (Centerville Music) should be getting some Hammerhead MkII heads in very soon.

Cheers!

-Thad

15. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

and the best thing is they are very reasonably priced too.

16. MesaFenderE

MesaFenderE Member

Does anyone know how the Mesa Lonestar Special and Zinky compare in sound?