Carrying Amps to Gigs?

The Whiz

I like that you're going carless...too many cars on this planet. Until a car company comes with better electric car options, I think you're doing a good thing. And well since you're in NYC a car isn't really necessary is it? Some good ideas here about lighter amp like a princeton. Maybe a tech 21 trademark 60 amp? Or how about a Fractal Audio AxeFx modeller? Pricey and digital, but people here rave about how nice they sound and how tube amp-like they feel and if you're going to places with decent pa's and monitors then it's a workable option.

BBQLS1

Here is the oddest part of my experience with city living.

I live in a large apartment building...with an AC30...I use it...turn it up...on a daily basis....I have only had a complaint once..because someone was doing some work...so I stopped...aside from that, people have not cared that I'm playing.
Or they are polite enough to not complain.

If you can deal with a simple rig, a Princeton would be a great option. Actually there are probably quite a few 1X10 (or maybe 1X12) options as long as you aren't walking 10 miles to a gig.

Is a bicycle an option?

AC30LP

I've heard some good comments regard the Tech 21....I'll check it out...I'd definitely like the princeton.

I'm in DC...it's a very easy walking city...I like the head and cab idea.

Any other DC musicians on the board? We have some great players down here...not enough venues..what else is new.

Random Hero

It's so weird that this is being discussed tonight. I'm moving to London at the end of the month, in preparation for going to GIT in the Autumn, but I was wondering the exact same earlier on.

I do currently have a car, and ideally I would keep it, but the running costs may eat up some serious £££. I just don't know what to do at the minute, but at the same time, it would be ideal to keep it as I will be gigging.
I was going to buy a Bogner 2x12 when I got my 4x12 recently, but there didn't seem much point if it was only for the size as the differences didn't really seem that large. Oh well atleast I have the head if some places have speaker cabs.

About your problem, I have no clue man, as I'm in the same situation!

akivisuals

The AxeFx solution might be good. Or an Alessandro head and gig bag if the place has a cab you can use. Otherwise the Goodsell Super 17mkIII is a good choice at 28.75 lbs. You can get a Studio Slips clamshell cover with a shoulder strap and call it a day.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Before moving here, made many gigs by bus or by bike with trailor. Used small combo (Deluxe or siilar) and miked for bigger rooms/outside. Guitars in gig bag on back, combo and some pedals on cart or in trailor. Everything covered, saw rain and no harm. Hard for carsluts to understand, but totally possible.

DS

Here are a few ideas that might work.

Kart A Bag Tri-Kart 800 available at B & H Photo Video. Great for those of us with cars and without.

Most of the gigs I play are straight ahead Jazz gigs and for those I use the AER Compact 60. Definitely not an AC30, but only 18 lbs with a carrying bag. .You didn't mention what style/s you play. So if this is not your bag, get a Princeton/ Deluxe Reverb. Or, of course, the Axe FX.

sinner

I don't know about your city, but around here I see myself getting about 3 blocks before someone mugs me for my guitar, amp, cart on wheels--everything. Or at least about a million questions asking what kind of guitar's in the case, probably fishing to decide if it's worth stealing.

trap

seems like a small head,or an axe efx put in a backpack with cables, a small 112 cab in one hand and a guitar case-gigbag in the other would do it.

radcliff

I can identify with being in an apartment with people all around you and not getting any noise complaints...

My roommate and I jam til 11pm and crank it and no one ever complains!

If I were in your situation I would get a Tweed Deluxe clone or Princeton reverb clone, minimize my pedal board, gig bag my guitar - and take taxis

doc

Silver Supporting Member
To Esoteric Pete: Yes, I'm serious. Mudslide just identified one of the reasons I'm serious. I see an Envoy as being at about the right spot on the graph where light/portable, sounds decent, and not super desirable to a mugger/cry if its gone all intersect. I'd also consider a Powerblock and a small cab with a 10" Jensen Neo in it to be an option. I understand that if you're a true tone snob it might be beneath you.

strat68

I used to have a car..but don't have one now that I'm living in a city....

The handcart seems like a really good idea.

How about a Princeton Reverb? That seems like a very reasonable amp to carry in hand.
I may be off on this but I bet some city gigs have some house equipment, even if a cab- then you can just carry an 18w head.

merkaba22

I lived in NYC for over 10 years, played fusion/high energy jazz and lived in a 5 floor "walk-up" -- I used a Soldano pre into effects into a VHT power amp in a 6 space rack and a 1 x 12 MB EVM and my guitar in a high quality gig bag -- fits easily into a cab -- two trips up and down the stairs -- sounded unbelievably beautiful no matter what:)

zzmoore

Look on Craigslist for an affordable bicycle and some type of old Kid-Kart or baby trailer that people don't need anymore.;)

scriptphase

I'd recommend the luggage-style roller and, depending on the part of town and how late you're gigging...maybe a handgun. :worried

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
I lived in NYC for over 10 years, played fusion/high energy jazz and lived in a 5 floor "walk-up" -- I used a Soldano pre into effects into a VHT power amp in a 6 space rack and a 1 x 12 MB EVM and my guitar in a high quality gig bag -- fits easily into a cab -- two trips up and down the stairs -- sounded unbelievably beautiful no matter what:)
2 trips? What happens to the 1st trip of stuff when you go to get the rest?

AC30LP

I like all this discussion....part of me knows I could do something practical...like get a smaller rig...or take a cab.

BUT..a bigger part of me wants to do something really foolish and awesome..like attach a red wagon to a bicycle, and put my ac30 in it....how great would that look going down the street.

Trending Topics