Carter Style solo guitar tip and intructional materials

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by blindtc, Dec 15, 2009.

1. blindtc

blindtc Member

hey guys,

latley i have been practicing a carter style arrangment of "Wildwood Flower", and i am wondering what instructional materials (book/DVDs) should i study to improve on this technique? anyone got any tips on playing good Carter-style solo guitar?

2. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

blindtc,

I got in a oldtime/Carter family phase for a few years, even learned some mandolin along the way. Spent a lot of $ and here are a few things I found:

Jody Stecher is one my faves and has DVDs and books dedicated to this style.
    Russ Barenberg's Teach Yourself BlueGrass is available cheap and is a great overview with awful, awful singing.

YMMV, IMHO, etc., but I tried the following with little luck:

Steve Kaufman (who is a guru to many): well made, but really really basic
    Eric Thompson: Stefan Grossman reissued old LP/book sets, great player, not great instructionals
    Norman Blake: again, amazing player, not sure I got much out of his tutorials.

BTW, not sure if you play only this style, but after my 4-5 year detour into it, I went back to playing electric and my facility improved tenfold (confirmed by a few trusted musician buddies as well).

Lastly, I'll check at home tonight and PM you, I may have some things that I'd be glad to make you a great deal on.

Bob

3. blindtc

blindtc Member

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Are you after technique or material? The technique is pretty simple if you are talking about straight carter style picking, melody on the bass strings and strums on the treble strings. If you wanna get into crosspicking and some of the more advanced flatpicking techniques, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms. But strictly speaking that is not carter style.

Flatpicking Guitar Magazine is a great resource run by a great guy. Dan sells back issues @ flatpick.com. Most of the other stuff mentioned below is also available from that site.

Flatpick-L is the mailing list for the flatpickers, lots of monster players on there. Hope you like BBQ if you plan on joining...

Steve Kaufman's Parking Lot Picker series is fantastic. He takes each tune and does a beginner, intermediate and advanced solo for it. The beginner is almost always a basic version of the melody played carter style. Then they obviously grow from there. It's cool because you can clearly see how the advanced licks tie right back to the melody. Kind of giving you the reverse engineering view. There's no way I'd call this realy really basic, Bob.

This homespun video covers the basics. http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=388

Orrin Starr has a video, Bluegrass Rhythm Guitar (or some such) that is a great foundation.

I'll second what Bob said above. Getting into flatpicking launched my guitar playing ahead by light years. I'd go so far as to recommend that that is where almost everyone should begin.

5. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

bigdaddy,

I should have qualified the Kaufman by title (which I forget) but it wasn't the Parking Lot one.

6. kape

kape Member

7. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

The Kaufman Parking Lot series, fantastic as they are, is about soloing and definitely not about Carter style.
    I have vol.1 and haven't found a lot of Carter-type stuff even in the beginner sections.

Agree with the Orrin Star stuff however (or what I've seen from it). There's a YouTube clip of him teaching Whiskey before Breakfast.
    Also really like Norman Blake's two dvd's on Homespuntapes.