• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Carve top Vs. Drop top.

JWallace

I'm wondering what everyones opinions and preferences are when it comes to a carve top vs. a drop top guitar and what it is you like or dislike about each type.
How much does it matter to you? Is one vs. the other a make or break when it comes to purchasing? Is price a factor? It it feel?

o0Ampy0o

It is just a matter of personal taste. For me it depends on the style of guitar but there are always exceptions.

Aardvark

Gold Supporting Member
A carve top usually has a thicker top than a drop top, imparting more to the tone. So, a maple carve top theoretically adds more brightness or articulation to a mahogany back than a drop top would.

Guitarworks

It depends on the guitar. I would expect a carved maple cap on guitars that customarily come with one, or are known for having one, and I generally would not accept a drop top on those. On a guitar for which a carved maple cap is not or never has been a standard issue feature, then a nice flamey drop top as an extra added bonus is fine. A drop top would offer me a benefit in terms of aesthetics only. As far as I'm concerned, the veneer does not impact the sound or feel in any way.

Last edited:

Madguitrst

Forget the cm of wood differences, play some guitars, and pick the one that speaks to you and maybe whose whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Man, people make this so microcosmically difficult.
Play some guitars.
Buy one that you really like.
Period.

Aardvark

Gold Supporting Member
Forget the cm of wood differences, play some guitars, and pick the one that speaks to you and maybe whose whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Play some guitars.
Period.

Play some guitars.
Period.
True, unless you are buying on line or commissioning a build.

Trending Topics