Carvin AG300 in a band?

sam_spade

Anyone use a Carvin AG300 with at least a drummer, and how did it do? Does it have enough power to keep up with a drummer and other musicians?

I want to run a acoustic/electric guitar through the amp but am not sure I would be able to be heard well enough over my drummer.

royd

it is a great amp... I played a Fishman Soloamp for a long time and then got the Carvin and felt it was better in every way. I don't knw how loud your drummer is but I would expect it will be fine

sam_spade

it is a great amp... I played a Fishman Soloamp for a long time and then got the Carvin and felt it was better in every way. I don't knw how loud your drummer is but I would expect it will be fine

Thanks Royd. I was thinking the amp is only 200W, but maybe it will be enough. I've listened to some demos of the AG300 but no one has used it in a band situation or even commented on using it in a band situation. I suppose if it isn't loud enough I could always use an extension speaker for 50W more. I'm sure that would help.

RustyAxe

200W should be plenty, unless your drummer is way too heavy handed. In my five piece country band the lead guitarist uses an old Peavey 50W amp, and a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. (pre-DSP) that runs 2 x 40W. No problem being heard over our drummer.

royd

Thanks Royd. I was thinking the amp is only 200W, but maybe it will be enough. I've listened to some demos of the AG300 but no one has used it in a band situation or even commented on using it in a band situation. I suppose if it isn't loud enough I could always use an extension speaker for 50W more. I'm sure that would help.

the additional 50 watts won't add much in terms of volume. the 2nd speaker cab, assuming you get the same 3 way cab, should add about 3db... plus maybe 1 more from the additional watts. I expect it will be fine as is unless your drummer really bashes away. I'd be more concerned about the pickup system on your guitar at that point and avoiding feedback. If the band is really loud, use the amp for your on-stage monitor and use the line out to the PA for FOH.

RustyAxe

How does it do on vocals? I find most acoustic amps less than good for vocals, and I'd love to know how the Carvin does.

royd

How does it do on vocals? I find most acoustic amps less than good for vocals, and I'd love to know how the Carvin does.

I think it was better than the Fishstick. As for guitar, it did have a bit more bottom end. The three way speaker design sounds very transparent so it was very much like a good full range PA cab to my ears.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Just kicking-up an older thread to see if anything has changed? Did anyone get an AG300? If so, what's your opinion? Thx!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom