Carvin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I told my guitar teacher I wanted a Gibson Les Paul. He's very unimpressed with Gibson in general, Les Paul in particular.

He recommended Carvin.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/

Two questions. 1) Are they really better than Gibson LPs? 2) This finish:

[​IMG]

.......is painted, right? That's not the wood finish?

What about the Gibson?

[​IMG]

Is the figure underneath the finish the wood, or is that also painted?

thanx

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I like Your Teacher........Stick with him. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

What about the guitar body? I always thought it was highly figured wood. Is it the wood or is it paint?

4. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Carvin makes a quality axe IMHO. I've owned a few thru the years, and all have been rock solid.

5. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I have two Carvin basses. They play great and they're made extremely well. Not so crazy about the electronics, though.

6. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

That finish is real. Carvin uses excellent woods, with amazing quilt or flame figure. Go to their BBS (http://www.carvinbbs.com/index.php) and check out the "Carvin Photo Gallery" where they show off their acquisitions. There's some real drool-worthy stuff in there!

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

No doubt, Carvin makes great stuff. BUT ...like any instrument, it either "fits" you or it doesn't. Period. A particular guitar has to be "you" or it just never transcends beyond another "nice" instrument into that soulful extension of yourself. Shops and walls are full of great guitars at any price: buy the one that speaks to YOU. Ultimately, THAT is what really matters, irrespective of a teacher, friend, or priest ...even if it is a Les Paul you desire ;)

Edward

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

I can't speak for Carvin since I've never owned or played one, but there are lots of builders that make a "better" guitar than Gibson at a lower price point. McInturff, Hamer, and PRS come to mind as guitar's I've owned that in my opinion were better made than comparable Gibson's. YMMV.

9. edward

edward Supporting Member

BTW, another consideration (which may or may not concern you) is resale. Carvin's is hideous. Which is great news if you're buying used; tragic if you bought new and want to unload it. This is where a "Gibson" moniker pays you back. Just food for thought :)

Edward

10. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Carvin's resale value on the carved top guitars is actually pretty good. They're generally selling for $1250 to $1500 on eBay at the moment for the CT-6 which is the figured top one. The one you have a picture of is a semi-hollow and I don't think that's what you're after. I've never played the single cut but I've played the CT-6 and it's an outstanding guitar. I own a '91 DC127 neck through that's got the lowest action on any guitar I've ever seen.

11. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

1) I would say Carvins are more consistent. Better is relative and subjective.
    2) Wood in both cases. I tend to prefer Carvin's tops. Gibson has some beautiful tops as well, but usually in their more expensive instruments. I just purchased a Les Paul Standard and it has a AA top. For the price it should be AAA.

Speaking of price, you may be interested in today's musiciansfriend's Stupid Deal of the Day. ;)

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

IT depends mostly on you. How much cash do you want to spend? Why do you want a les paul? what kind of music do you play?

Gibson does have some quality problems, but they still make great guitars. when I wanted a les paul, I probably played 50 of the things. I was then able to see what an average, horrible, and killer les paul felt like. When I played the first chord on the one I bought, I knew it was the one. Although I love thinking about, looking at, trying out, and buying electric guitars, when it is time for the gig, I grab the same les paul. Don't let other people make this decision for you. Listen to the advice of the people you feel know what they are talking about, but don't let them pressure you.

13. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

What's the point in buying Gibson if the moniker will get you money back when you sell it. That to me means that when you buy Gibson - you eventually sell it.

I have a Carvin Holdsworth and I love it. I sold it and guess what - I didn't lose much and guess what again. I am buying another one but with different wood choices than before.

Carvins are great and their prices are unbeatable and since they are semi-custom shop - if you order it your way - you may actually keep it because it's what you wanted. If you don't like it - they have a very generous return policy. Yeah it's a hassle but that's life.

I like Carvin products - they make some really good stuff.

14. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

If you really want a Les Paul "experience", then the SH might disappointed you. The reviews by people who have both say that even thought the body shape is similar, the feel is a lot different mostly due to the Carvin having a slimmer neck and bigger, rounded frets.

Having said that, Carvin's in general are of better quality than your typical mid-ranged Les Paul. This is mostly due to the fact that when you get a Les Paul from Guitar Center, it usually needs a set up and a fret dress.

Carvin has a 10 day return policy, so you could get one and then go try a Paul and see which you prefer. You'd only be out the return shipping if you chose the Paul.

15. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have 3 Carvins (2 Bolts and a CT6M) love them all. When I bought my CT-6, I tried PRS and Gibson LPs. The PRS was nice but didn't speak to me (especially at 1.5 times the cost of Carvin) and the Gibson's were horrid! It amazes me that you can spend 2k on a Guitar and expect to have a fret dress needed! That's why I bought the Carvin. Pulled it out of the box and played it. Didn't even need to be tuned! YMMV of course!

16. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Carvins are great guitars, I have 2 V220's from the '80s and basically their necks and fretworks are really good, no complains in that deparment, electronics however may be improved.

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've owned a couple of Carvins and the workmanship is stellar. Some don't like the pickups, but the $$ saved buys a heck of a lot of pickups.
    Lucidology has me interested in synths these days and I'm looking at the SH-575 as a possibility. My other choice would be to buy another Heritage or Fender and put a Roland pickup on it.

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Its Wood. They Use Clear and stained Finishes over the highly Figured wood. Great guitars. Don't waste you Money on a New Gibson.........

19. blood5150

blood5150 Member

They are great guitars at a great price..., and you can customize your guitar to no end, they have so many options... I would say buy one now before Gibson or Fender buys Carvin down the road like Fender just did with Hamer....

20. jay42

jay42 Member

hmm...10 years ago, I worked about 2.5 miles from Trade, so I would drop in on the showroom from time to time. I found that many of the maple top guitars and basses had knots in the wings. I can't say that this was overall typical, however, that's what I saw. I don't keep up with it. Are they almost all still neck-through with a few bolt-ons? A set neck is a different animal.