Carvin CS6M... opinions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Millo 3.1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

How does it fair against current-production Gibson LP, PRS regular-body and Singlecut designs (SC 245, 250), as well as other dual-humbucker carved-top guitars?

How would you describe its playability? I recently tried a PRS Custom 22 and loved the way it felt--tried it unplugged, though. Not sure what neck carve it had, wide-thin, wide-fat, blah blah... fat and thin are relative. It was fatter than my current electrics, which I liked, but not huge.

2. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Had my eye on a tobacco burst/maple neck CT3 for a while. $1100.00 ain't bad and they look great imo. Don't hear too many Carvin pickers ravin' about any of the Carvin line though.

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

Unless you go to the carvin forum!!! Those folks drank the koolaid for sure.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have owned 2 Carvins in the past, and they were wonderful instruments. I would not hesitate to buy Carvin again. One of the best necks out there. I have been tempted by their new semihollow archtop. The only bad news about them is their resale value imo. I bought both used, and basically paid about a 1/3 or less of their original retail value.

5. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Yeah well... I really like my Carvin kit, except the neck is a tad too thin for my taste. The CS and CT necks are fatter. My Carvin kit has High Order pickups and a StewMac super switch in it ,though. I will need to rewrie it some day since it's kinda noisy. I don't think it's the picups, since I had a pair o Lace Sensor Duallies and it was also noisy. I'm sure the proble has to do w/ the funky wiring or my wanted pickup combinations.... anyhow it isn't too bad, certainly less than the typica strat.

anyway I just wanted to see if anyone had been able to compare the CS model against other carved tops out there. I haven't used those covered pickups but if they are siply covered versions of the C22 pickups I'm definitely changing them if I get a CS axe.

6. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

So, I know about Carvin sometimes building lemons but usually building nice guitars, their horrible resale value, and do know about their not-for-everyone pickups (not for me, for sure, although mabe the H22 would be to my liking), I'm just inquiring abut this particular model.

...since I know Carvin forumites at the company's BBS drank the Kool Aid, I am not asking this question over there. :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

why did you get rid if them?

8. Michael T

Michael T Member

The 'koolaid cult' atmosphere around Carvin has always really put me off the product line. If you say ANYTHING negative, even if you preface it by stating that it is just an opinion, they go after you like a pack of hyenas.

Maybe if they werent so fanatical I'd feel different. As it sits I would prefer not to have an association to Carvin simply because of the hard core Carvin cult.

9. starjag

starjag Member

+1 Carvins are great guitar values when new and "steals" when buying used. Great playing MIA guitars and basses with lots of possible customizations.

Pickups can be changed... people change pickups in $3K+ guitars anyways. The key thing is their necks. If you like baseball bat, chunky necks... Carvins are not for you since they do not offer those neck carve options.

I suggest the OP to visit the Carvin BBS and decide for him/herself. Actually I have met lots of Carvin owners with constructive criticism. Some of that criticism has resulted in changes in the product offering over the years.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Gave them both to friends who needed them more than I did. I enjoy finding deals on well built guitars with the idea of giving them away at some point. Beats the heck out of thinking about what I want next.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

The exception to this is the Holdsworth Fatboy models. Pretty chunky neck compared to their other offerings.

12. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

The OP as in me? Dude, that was the first internet forum I ever saw and got registered in! In fact, I was JUST at their forum looking at pics of beautiful CS and CT axes.

I LIKE Carvin guitars, can't stand any form of fanatism. Yes, there are some who seem to be fairly objective, especially when it comes ot Carvin's pickups.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Any CS owners out there? How do these necks compare to a PRS Custom 22 or SC 250?

13. Mad Monk

Mad Monk Member

I have one in quilted black. It's a superb guitar. The build quality and playability is as nice as anything I've seen. I think the neck is comparable to the PRS standard - not the wide thin or fat. If you want I'll post some picks later with the neck specs.

Mine is for sale. I changed out the pickups with an SD Custom 5 and a '59. The neck is too thin for me, but for what it's worth I'm into 1" boat necks and the 1958 style Les Paul chunky necks. It's really a shame that Carvin doesn't offer custom neck profiles. If mine had a thicker neck profile it would be one of my main guitars.

14. hookakat1

hookakat1 Member

That's been about the only major problem I have with Carvins. I still love em though.

15. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I had a CT6M and sold it on ebay. I now regret it. I basically sold it because I hang out on here too long and people trash them and I talked myself into selling it and looking for my ideal PRS. I may still do that but if I find another CT6M on ebay I might buy it instead. I dont really understand what people mean when they say the resale is horrible. I would say it was about the same as other guitars. I think my CT6M new was around 1250 new and I sold it for 1050 within 4 hours of putting it on ebay. I still would say if you are going to buy a guitar you cant play first you might as well buy used and save some money regardless of the brand.

16. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

cool, guys... thanks... yeah I need to investigate now into the depth of the neck and what would be ideal for me.

Yeah, I think electronics can be not-so-good on Carvins.

Anyway I'd love to have just one switch for all pickup combos... I think the way the have those CT and CS wired out of the factory is w/ a 3-way to choose pups, push/pull for splitting... I'd like to be able to from neck single-coil to bridge humbucker in one switch ...or from neck humbucker to both p-ups' outer coils.

17. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I have a CT4 ( actually my son has it at college now) It's a great playing guitar with awesome fit and finish. Light and very comfortable to play By nature it's a pretty bright guitar. The C22 pickups sounded awful, mushy in the the neck and painfully strident in the bridge. I put in a WCR Darkburst set and now it's up there with my LPs. I can't imagine the CS series to be much different, Used is definately the way to go unless you really need a certain finish.

18. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I'm guessing the C6M is going to be close enough to the CT6 model right? :eek: I have a used CT6T and I LOVE it. Best guitar I own (aside from my Thorns, which can't seem to be knocked out of first place by any other guitars I've tried! :AOK) although the biggest thing that kills me is that if you want to replace the stock pickups with aftermarket offerings, you will have to route it out. :( That said, my CT is a keeper and I'd gladly spend the coin to get it done professionally because the feel and fit/finish are top notch, and the tone even with the stock pickups still sounds good. It rings loudly acoustically-speaking and sustains well. Mine was a mahogany neck and body, quilted maple top (gorgeous maple too) and an ebony fretboard with medium stainless steel frets. Sounds great and plays great, I just think it would sound even better with nicer pickups. :dude Since they have relatively poor resale value, you might want to look into waiting for a nice used one to pop up on eBay like I did. :) If you have very custom specs or want a specific stain or anything, you're going to have to go new but to me at the current pricepoint they are still great values for the money and a lot shorter wait time than going the small luthier route if you don't have the patience or funds for something like that.

19. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Thanks guys... If I ended up deciding it's the one I want, I would have no problem spending all the dough for a new one, then for all the mods. If it's a keeper and if it has the sound by itself, of course.

20. baimun

baimun Member

They don't hold their value as well as some other makes because it's too easy for someone to order another one just like it with more customized specs. There's not much of the "Limited Edition" uniqueness.

That said, when you can find a gently used one like Elderly has for several hundred below new, it's usually a good find.

[​IMG]