Carvin CT4 Pups

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Carvin CT4 with M22T pups that are pretty bright sounding compared to a typical Les Paul sound.

Does anyone have a CT4 with other pickups to get a crunchier sound with more lower end?

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a few Carvins over the years.

My favorite pickups they produce are the Holdsworth H22's. (chimey but warm; sound great in the neck position.)

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but in general, Carvins tend to be on the brighter side-- sometimes still remaining so, even after switching pickups.

What specifically don't you like about the M22's? Are they just too bright/shrill/thin?

Some good replacements you could try, offering more low-end and darker tones, might be Lollar Imperials (for more vintage tones). If you're feeling daring, a Pearly Gates offers tons of thickness and warmth (for high gain playing,) but still retains bite.

Those aren't the be-all-end-all choices, just my opinions.

However, changing the pickups probably won't make it sound like anything like a Les Paul. I went down that road with Carvin, spec-ing guitars to sound like a Strat or a Les Paul based upon wood choice, neck wood, fretboard wood, etc. But in the end, they just sounded like a Carvin; not a bad thing, but they had their own unique voice.

I hope some other CT4 owners can help you out with some more info!

Did you try asking your question over on the Carvin discussion board? They are a really helpful, friendly bunch over there.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
What specifically don't you like about the M22's? Are they just too bright/shrill/thin?
Yeah, I figured it was part "guitar" too. I needed a guitar to play classic rock covers at the time, but with easier high neck access than a LP. Carvin recommended the M22 to be the closest thing they had to a PAF.

In general it's the higher tone, or maybe just the lack of low and lower-mid end. When switching from a LP to the CT4 I hate having to tweak my amp tone controls so much (the guitar tone control will only do so much).

I'll try the Carvin board...

Woody Duke

I switched to Carvin C22s from the stock humbuckers on my '03 MIK Epi Dot because the stockers were too bright; the Carvins added a very sweet and warm tone, and split they sound very tele-ish. I think the stock pups were voiced more for overdriven lead playing (they always sounded weird together but ok individually) and I wanted more complexity and mixability, which the C22s have in abundance, for rhythm playing. When I want crunch, I use my Xaviere XV-610 with the GFS Dream 180s - they're also pretty cheap if you want to experiment.

Last edited:

IronPaws

I had a CT4 that I put Lollar Low Winds in. It really beffed the guitar up. Wit that said, you'll never get a CT to sound like a Les Paul, two different animals

Bluesbuff

I hated the C22 pickups in my CT4. So much that I was ready yo get rid of it. In desperation, since I loved the playability of the guitar, I put in WCR Darkbursts. WOW, it was a whole new guitar, I loved it!

http://www.myspace.com/theashbury39s/photos/27740932#{%22ImageId%22%3A27740932} .

Unfortunately so did my son. he took it to college with him 3 years ago and I haven't seen much of it since. He recently brought it home but I really haven't had time to re-explore it. It's sitting in the studio waiting patiently.

I've tried all of the Carvin pups in my CT6 and stuck with the C22. Joe Walsh uses these in his. If they are good enough for him, they are more than good enough for everyone else IMO.. The S22s were too muddy, M22s too bright, H22s too mellow. C22s have that perfect classic rock tone. I have not tried the new FG22's but I probably will at some point but I'll probably end up back with C22s.

Steve Dallas

When I got my CT6, it came with C22s. I liked them rather well. The only complaint I had were the sheer ugliness of them. I replaced them with a pair of WCR Darkbursts and loved the difference in humbucker mode, but I noticed the C22s sounded better split.

The CT series are great guitars. Dial it in and you be disappointed with your Carvin. They rock with a little TLC.

robertkoa

No personal experience but I remember a few guys saying they used the Gibson 57 pickups and got a much thicker sound, closer to a Les Paul- but not exact of course because of scale differences( 25" scale on the Carvin, Ebony fingerboard, VS 24.75" on the LP )and very few guitars sound EXACTLY like another brand or type , especially a LP.

Carvins tend to be articulate and to get a MAJOR change in fatness the Gibson 57s are supposed to be very good for that, just according to what I've heard/read.

Deathmonkey

I have a bunch of CT4s (5), and I find they take to pickup swaps very well. Carvin pickups seem to favor very pretty upper mids and highs over girth or low end.

Right now my favorite pickup is the Suhr Aldrich, tho if that is too high output for you their DSH/DSH+ is also an excellent choice - prominent, muscular mids, but not honky, with a very musical sound.

For a more vintage flavor, check out Wolfetone pickups. Wolfe has a variety of models, and is incredibly helpful. Holler at him and tell him what you're looking for, and he'll work with ya.

Trending Topics