Carvin EM900

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

2. WKG

WKG Member

I've had one for about a week now and I like it so far, solid clear and pretty quiet. I have heard the older ones were rebadged Nadys and were notoriously noisy. Not so here, this is not a Nady, no hiss to speak of unless you cranked the receiver all the way, which wasn't necessary. Even then any noise wasn't discernable over the mix. I really like the mix option on the receiver, very handy. Earbuds are surprisingly good for stock IMO, better than the Sennheiser IE4's. No reception dropouts at all, yet.

The feature set is hard to beat without hitting some of the other manufacturers higher end units. Internal power supply, metal transmitter and receiver. Up to 16 separate units can run on a stage. It looks like it will easily survive the FCC baloney coming up in February 2009.

At $399.99 it certainly is easy on the wallet. I've got a few more days on the 10 trial, I don't think it's going to go back.

3. jrm

jrm Member

WKG:

What frequencies can it transmit on?

4. WKG

WKG Member

638 to 662mhz

5. jrm

jrm Member

Aren't those pretty much spoken for? Wouldn't it be best to be looking around 900? I admittedly realyl have no idea what I'm talking about.

6. WKG

WKG Member

The FCC auction was for reallocation of the 700mhz range. Of course I am not the expert on that issue but from what I have read the EM900's range should be ok but will probably become a bit more crowded at some point. I don't know of any 900mhz IEM units at this point...maybe someone else does...?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  7. jrm

jrm Member

thanks for the info WKG. i think i may have asked this before, but can't find where I did, so please bear with me.

If I buy one transmitter and two receivers and set the receivers to mono, i shoudl technically be abel to feed two different mixes out of the same transmitter right? Say, I have two independent monitor mixes on my board (mon A and mon B) and I connect them both to one EM900 transmitter. it is my understanding that the receiver packs can pick up either A or B, or mix the two. Is that correct? Our lead vocalist could use mix A, and I could then use mix B? and the mixes won't just be in one side of my monitors right? If the receiver is set to mono, it should be in both ears correct?

8. WKG

WKG Member

You should be able to do that. I run the receiver in stereo with my guitar in one side and the rest of the band in the other. I keep the transmitter in mono and the pan control functions as a mix control for both. If I pan it hard one way or the other whatever side still stays in both speakers.

9. jrm

jrm Member

That is fantastic. Thanks for the info WKG. Are you still content with the em 900? You haven't noticed any glaring problems or high noise (hiss)?

10. WKG

WKG Member

The EM900 is a decent unit with a ton of features. In the end though I decided to go with a Mipro 808TR instead.

:phones