Carvin just purchased... will it work out?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mickey_C, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

I've been looking for a tremolo equipped guitar (and I have a floyd equipped Hamer that isn't working for me, because I don't go well with the floyd). So I just bought this DC135T from Carvin stock, despite some trepidation:

http://www.soultoneamps.com/images/MyCarvin.jpg

I've heard mixed reviews. I had a Carvin double cutaway about 15 years ago that was a really nice guitar, purchased for the steal of 200.00 from Guitar Center in Hollywood (I wanted the steve stevens, but couldn't afford it). I suffered through something with changing the pickups, but that was it. It played great... a bit on the heavy side though, and no tremolo.

Hopefully they won't let me down - I admit I'm pretty excited, even though I don't expect it to be a match for my Jimmy Page CA.

Mickey

2. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

The DC135 is a fine guitar - expect it to be a tad on the bright side due to neck through construction. I had one a while back & was a bit disappointed it wouldn't do the strat notch thing very well in positions 2 & 4 (its in the physics, wrong scale, too many frets squeezes the pickups together & out of position, and direct mount pickups). On the plus side, the neck & bridge pickups will sound great ... can't beat Carvin quality for the buck.

HT

3. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

HOLY MOTHER OF MAPLE TOPS!

I can't believe how good this guitar sounds. It plays freakin' fantastic too... but the tone is unbelievable. It's really sweet, warm with some upper-mids punch, and nicely rolled highs. It sounds great unplugged, and definitely has that vowel sound I love. Long neck tenon? LOL - the neck is through body! I thought it would be kinda bright with that, and the maple top, but it works out just perfect. The C22B pickup is spot on... they did their homework. Even still, if I keep it, I will put a fralin 9K I have laying around in there.

This was a killer deal... for 1002.00 shipped with the tweed case, and I am positively astonished. I even sprang for the special deal on the tweed case, and it's a hefty excellent quality case. I thought it'd be a fun guitar, but had no idea it would this good... if anybody has any doubts, they are making some excellent guitars, without question.

Now for the negatives (hey, there's always negatives):

1. What bozo painted the back sunburst, including the neck? W(ho)TF sunbursts a neck? Lay off the crack pipe... it looks like a Jerry Garcia special now (Whoa dude, pass the gel caps, and hands me that special one with the tie dyed neck)... A sunburst guitar with a set neck, or neck through, should have a solid color neck, not sunburst. You guys need to crack down on the deadheads in the paint shop!

2. Sapwood galore in that ebony fingerboard. That's not so bad... but having gone to such great lengths on fit and finish (the top is amazing, and the guitar looks like it was carved by CNC lasers, it is so perfect it looks fake), select a piece of ebony without the sapwood.

Despite the issues, I think I'll be keeping it. 'Cause it plays and sounds great.

Who'd a thunk it?

Mickey

4. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Carvin makes terrific guitars. They've really notched it up in the past few
    years. Great quality, especially for the price. Plus you get 10 days no
    questions asked to return it if you don't like it. I've got a holdsworth
    model (in spalted maple!) and an ash Bolt+T (that I'm unfortunately trying
    to sell in the emporium right now due to having too many axes). Both are
    very well made and very nice players.

--Tom

5. SFW

SFW Member

I just picked up this bad boy:
    [​IMG]

Great guitars! I absolutely love mine!

6. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I had Carvin custom-make a double cutaway for me from beautiful birdseye maple back in the 80's. It's still one of my favorite guitars, and while I'm about to sell a '75 LP Deluxe, a '77 Melody Maker, and maybe my '90 G&L S500, I WON'T be selling my Carvin! It really plays like buddah!

All gold HW, tremelo, originally wired for stereo, my only complaint was not quite the killer sound I wanted. I replaced the entire electronics with an Active EQ & hot pickups. But now that I'm playing thru Boogie amps, it's too hot a sound, so I may swap out the electronics again... I bet a couple of Darkbursts would sound pretty sweet.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:D

7. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'll tell you who. Gibson...that's who! :)

My '73 Deluxe has a "sunburst" neck and that's a set neck guitar. It's also bursted on the back of the body. I'll bet it's a good bit more subdued than your Carvin though. They go for a drastic contrast between yellow and red compared to the cherry sunburst of my Gibson.

Glad you like the guitar. They will have to pry my Carvin from my cold dead fingers to get mine.

8. Rama

Rama Member

Love em...ever since my 1980 DC 135.

Happy for you.

9. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Here's a pic of my Carvin:

[​IMG]

:D