carvin legacy vs bogner ecstacy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fernandopareta, Jul 20, 2006.

1. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

I know they are diferent, price but I think that their overdrive are similar What are your opinions?
    thanks

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

I've heard good and bad things about the Legacy. As with any mass produced amp, Carvin most likely skimps where they can. The inside of almost any Carvin amp I have seen was really messy. I have also heard a strange oscillation on some notes from the Legacy but for the price...........

Good luck, I would put my OD-100 SH/SE up against the Legacy and most any amp any day.....

Chris

3. bryan k

bryan k Member

i have used a carvin legacy (and still do) for about 5 -6 years now. Although i have no experience in Bogners, i will say this......

the amp was designined in conjunction with 'steve vai', who used Bogners before designing the legacy. So with that, it does have bogner qualities........but the legacy is voiced to sound like no other amp out there. It has that warm/creamy hot-rodded marshall sound (like a Bogner). its avery low-mid sounding amp.

4. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

I got a Legacy. It has some of the low-mid qualities of the Ecstasy. I also owned two 101-B\\\'s in the 90\\\'s.I had an opportunity to A/B an Ecstasy head with a Legacy combo at a local GC last year, using my Jem. I actually liked the Legacy. it was way easier to dial...great clean channel, decent reverb, etc.So much so, I went home and ordered the Legacy head!The Bogner has a bit more of the squishy sagging note attack, which is cool, but IMO not worth 3X the Legacy.The Legacy isnt my only head either. It hangs right inthere with my more expensive Peacemaker and Germino.

5. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have been gigging a Legacy in a classic rock cover band for 5 years now. I haven't played an amp yet I want to replace it with in that 5 years. I also like it much better than my Marshall JCM800 2205. On most days I would pick the Legacy over my band mates SLO-100 as well. My band mate had a Soldano Deccatone before the SLO, and I would take the Legacy in every way over the Deccatone too.

6. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

I have a legacy too, and I like the sound, but the bogner is my dream but I use both and I feel that they have a similar overdriven sound

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a Voodoo modded 2205 and always wanted to try a Legacy. Would you say the type of tone is in the general ball park?

8. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

What are the cleans like on this amp? I'm mainly interested in cleans, but can it also nail a lower-gain OD thing? Not a blues, but an indie-rock sort of gain?

9. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Hmmm...Great thread. Keep em coming! Sounds like the Legacy would be a nice backup to my XTC.

10. SAVAGE BEAST

SAVAGE BEAST Member

I have a Legacy and owned a 101B for a few years. for the money, the Legacy wins. I think the Legacy has a better clean channel and the gain channel is pretty good too. It is a bit darker to me than the Bogner. I don't think the Bogner Blue channel can be beat for gains (just my personal pref) but the Legacy is so much cheaper it almost seems ridiculous to not have it if you want that dark mids sound. I like the simplicity of the Carvin as well. I do find myself cranking the treble and presence more than normal, but it is a killer sounding head for $600 compared to 2600.00.

11. countandduke

countandduke Member

I think the Legacy has a good reputation and from what I hear, some great tones. Also keep in mind that changing output transformers and replacing resistors and caps can make a HUGE difference in tone. www.voodooamps.com is one such company and Trace is a great guy to talk with.

The legacy speaker cabinets are also supposed to be kick ass for the price too!!

Chris

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've been inside dozens of Carvin amps, and they are not messy. They are mass produced, and use pcb type construction, with all the pro's and con's that come with that. But for that type of construction they are very clean and well done. The circuit boards are very well laid out and well marked. The wiring is neat, and the amps are incredibly easy to work on.

As for the sound, the others here have prety much answered that. But I will add that the Lwegacy is a great sounding amp. Both channels are pretty damn good. Carvin and Vai really nailed this one. Whether you will like it more or less than a Bogner is subjective and personal, only you can decide. BUt I'd say that for what it would cost you to try out the Carvin it's pretty much a no brainer to go for it. Order one and try it for ten days. If it doesn't work for you send it back. You pay the shipping costs only. If it does work you've got a hell of a deal! If not, you're only out the cost of shipping.

13. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

The Legacy is a great amp, I think that a lot of people buy some amps because of the "status" of having one of them, there are great amps like bogner or Germino, or CA od100, but the most importan thing is that the amp sound great, instead of the price, or feel important because you have one of the boutique amps.
    Carvin Legacy is a cool amp.

14. bryan k

bryan k Member

well lets talk about the clean channel now, thats what he wants to know about.

i think the clean channel is so damn good, i drool when i play it. It has a very shimmery, acoustic-like quality (it has a presence button to help do this).............has great body and fullness.

i made a few clips for people interested in the Legacy tone, one is titled "Legacy clean channel", and another is titled "legacy imitates 5150" ( i soaked it in chorus effect and played some later VH riffs). Ther are also a few full out song productions where i used nothing except the legacy on the guitars.

heres the link----->http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=465137

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

I think Carvin does Clean channels as well or better than anybody in the business. Amazingly good tone. It's the lead channels where they have struggled, until they did the Legacy. The Legacy's clean channel follows that same mold, amazingly good tone.

16. Madsman

Madsman Member

I like the Legacy. I know a lot of younger players who rely on that gain knob, and feel that the Legacy doesn't have enough, but I think it's just about right. And I have seen Vai do a mini show with just a Legacy, Bad Horsie and G Force, and it still sounded just right.

I think the Bogner smokes it. Really no question, for me, but I do think it's a great amp.

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

Madsman, have you played a Legacy yourself? Just curious. Could you describe how the Bogner smokes it?

Bryan K, again man, your playing is fantastic, and your tones are great. Is Here We Go a new one? I don't remember that one. Another killer tune. You got to let me know when you get a cd out.

18. 83stratman

83stratman Member

The Legacys clean is great. It sounds like no other amp though. It sort of sounds like a good Twin Reverb mixed with a little bit of clean Marshall it that makes any sence. Don't expect Deluxe Reverb breakup though.

19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

" The legacy speaker cabinets are also supposed to be kick ass for the price too!!"

I have owned the Grennback loaded 4x12 and my band mate owns the V30 loaded 4x12. I dislike both of them. I think both are kind thin and harsh sounding without much "body".

20. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I would say no, but honestly between these three rigs while playing with the band...

1 Legacy head/Marshall 4x12 Green backs
    2 DRRI with Boogie 1x12 extension cab (Celestion 90) and an Ibanez DS-10 Distortion Charger
    3 Marshall 2205 with same Marshall cab as with the Legacy

...my tone is pretty much the same for all practicle purposes.