Carvin re-issues the X100B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluescube, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

new Series IV version at NAMM

[​IMG]

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I used to own two full stacks of the X100B. It was the best amp they ever made IMO. Kudo's to them.....

3. bluescube

They are using the Vintage logos too

4. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

WOW! I actually didn't see this one coming! The X100B was my first real tube amp. They were very good, somewhat midrange heavy, and solid amps. The only bad thing I discovered is that they were "Moody." Literally the tone would change thru the course of a night--I'm not sure if they had components that were temperature/humidity sensitive or what. Torres had a mod that would smooth out the tone and the mids and make it more musical and somewhat more "Marshally". I used them on both heads.

Thanks for the heads up!!

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I had one of these - bought it in the late 80's. Sold it about 2 years ago for $125. It's a loud amp, but the tones don't compare to the amps we typically discuss here. It's not in the same league. The clean is not bad, but it's not really good. The drive tones are not good. For a $125 amp, it's pretty cool, but I think you can buy much better tone for $500 - $700 (my assumption on the price of the reissue), even with a SS amp.

6. bluescube

There were two versions of the X100 in the 80's. Some were 6L6 and the later ones EL34.

It was good enough for Zappa and Vai.....

7. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

Cool. I have a 1980 X60B. It has some of the best clean tones ever! Clipping diodes (?) are used on the OD channel... not so good. For it's day, these amps had some cool features. XLR out, 1/2 power, adjustable slave out, active EQ, graphic EQ, cool footswitch w/ boost... I used mine for many years with a Tom Scholz power soak (amp dimed) and unbelievably, the amp still functions. Good, rock solid amp.

One of my letters to Carvin appeared in their catalog for a few years. :)

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

These use to be the backline amps in alot of the Hollywood clubs in the late eighties. It was nice to not have to haul gear but they generally sounded like warm ass.

9. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I love my 6l6 version and will have to get one of these new ones when they are out. Any idea when they will be out? price?

They are extremely versatile amps w/ that eq, and adding a boost will be nice. I see some extra toggles on the right that are intriguing, and the head is smaller! I love the sound of warm ass!

10. primerib

primerib Member

Wow. I used to have one way back in the day. Not really usable for what I was doing at the time unless you boosted it a bit. Good amps back then...just not really up to par to what is out nowadays.

11. bluescube

The toggles replace the pull-switches that the originals had. I wonder if these replace the aging MTS series?

12. glenecho

glenecho Member

Given the availability of these used (for very low prices) and the feature set provided I'm surprised at this move. This seems like a step back for Carvin. I've tried several of these and while they are ok running clean and using pedals, I thought the dirt sounds were not very good. Love their guitars, but still waiting on an amp from Carvin that I can use.

13. rog951

rog951 Member

My main amp for all my gigging life was an X100B with EL34s into a Music Man 4x12. I loved that thing...had it for so long that I knew it inside and out. Sold it a year or two ago for $350 and I almost cried. I'd done the Torres mod to mine but I didn't like it quite as much after that. Preferred it stock.

Funny about that "moody" tone. I always thought that it would sound better during the gig than it did at soundcheck. It seemed pretty repeatable that it'd sound kinda harsh for the first playing session of the day, but if you turned it off for a while then turned it back on, it'd then sound markedly better. I got so I'd noodle around on it for a half hour before band practice and then shut it off. Then it'd sound great for practice. A very weird phenomenon and probably all in my head! ;)

14. glenecho

glenecho Member

Actually I'd have to agree with you but I think it was due to the nature of the amp that it really didn't sound great when playing alone but sounded great with the band.

Considering the price, I loved my old X100B, it's just that amps (maybe not Carvin's) have come so much further since then. I do know that this thread is making me miss my own so it's off to the bay.

15. bluescube

Perhaps the Version IV has some improvements? Time will tell.

16. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

What is so antiquated about the x100b that it it isn't "up to par" today?

I see plenty of Bassmans, JCMs, etc., still around and kickin...I wouldn't consider them scrappy to anything new. My carvin has so far stayed while I sold off: two mesas, a suhr, a bad cat, two carrs, new orange, new vox, dr. z, among others.

the carvin does take some tweaking, but it has some powerful eq'in ability, great harmonics, and at low gain, the dirty channel is nice.

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

No clipping diodes in these amps at all. Those came along in the later amps.

These amps do have a cool sound to them. Except for that EQ system, which I really had no use for. Unfortunately you HAVE to assign it to one of the channels. It'd be better to have to option to leave it off.

These amps have an active EQ section, not just the sliders but all the tones controls. Small adjustments result in large changes. There are some good tones in there, but they are hard to find, especially if you are used to the passive EQ's in Fender and Marshall amps.

18. bluescube

That's good. The MTS has the diodes?

19. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I like this amp. I'll have to run down to Carvin to try the RI. Lately, it seems they are moving in a good direction product wise.

20. jbird

jbird Member

It was my 1st amp, an '84 XV212! Had it till a few years ago! I always ran a Super Overdrive in front for more gain, never seemed enough on it's own. Pretty cool though!