Carvin replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by turtlechaser, Aug 25, 2005.

1. turtlechaser

turtlechaser Guest

I am thinking about replacing the speaker in my Blues Junior. I saw a good price on a Carvin GS12-75-8. It claims to be close to a Vintage 30. Has anyone used one of these? Is it significantly better to the stock speaker? Would I be alot better off to go with a Eminence Red Coat? I'm looking for a fatter, less harsh tone. Thanks...

2. Antero

Antero Member

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

My 2 Carvin speakers just arrived today. I'm going to try the same thing that this dude did and see how they sound.

I have 2 other Carvin speakers that are much older...and they suck. Hopefully these are better. I couldnt resist the price.

4. concrt

concrt Member

Turtlechaser,

I've used Carvin speakers a few times in the past and have good luck with them. I think most people believe that they are Eminence speakers with their label on them. (of course no one officialy says that from Carvin or Eminence...but the construction looks like it's the case.)

They can be a good speaker, so give them a try, but.......

IMHO, if ya' want Vintage 30s, nothing else sounds quite like them. You may end up only being happy with the real thing.

Rick.

5. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

I've read alot of reports that Carvin isn't being entirely acurate with the description of those blow out speakers. They say vin30s, but I've read they are dead ringers for 75s

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

7. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

I have a four twelve cab. It came with my MTS 3200 Fifteith anniversary head. I think it has those speakers loaded in there but I'd have to look to be sure. I have vintage 30's loaded in a couple other cabs. To me I'd say the Carvin's are darker but sort of in the vintage 30 ballpark. I have a Carvin ten inch speaker that's loaded in a silverface princeton reverb it sounds much better than the stock Fender speaker. It is a Jensen knockoff. I would expect that the prior reply is correct that they are made by Eminence. I think that Carvin's stuff is very good bang for the buck. Hope my rant helps. Cheers.

8. turtlechaser

turtlechaser Guest

I ordered a speaker today. I think I'll try the fabric-softener-break-in procedure. I wonder how it will sound in a Blues Junior versus the stock speaker?

9. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

gulliver's clips blew me out of the water....I kept reading that these carvins are G12T75 copies...

But the clips certainly make these things sound like V30s!

-F

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

I'm trying to get some T-75s in house to compare, but the friend of mine that has them hasn't been around. Since I made the clip, I have aquired a more standard medium sized sealed 1x12 cabinet, and feel the Carvins don't sound nearly as good as in the big 1x12. If you listen to the large and small cabinets in the clip, the medium one seems to fit between. A large sealed cabinet may be half the battle for thick high-gain playing through these, but I'm beginning to believe that's true for all speakers. The volume of the big 1x12 in the clip has roughly the same "per speaker" volume as the popular Bogner oversized 2x12 ... I feel there's no mystery here, size does matter.

I've also dialed in the V30s with less 1st stage gain and more 2nd stage distortion (features on the preamp) and feel they sound way better than in the clip ... less muddy.

Anyone know where to get a 1x12 thats about the size of mine? Externally it's about 12x21x21. I have no idea where mine came from.

11. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Yeah but Gulliver...were you comparing the speaker (carvin vs the actual vin30) in the same cabinet, or different cabinets....

That's really the tell all, where the cabs are the same, the amps the same, and then you're just swapping speakers...

Regardless, how do you think the carvin could handle mid-gain and cleans?

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

The cabinet was the same 1x12, I was swapping out speakers. Everything was relatively the same, keeping in mind that my living room is not Underwriters Labratories.

That preamp is a one trick pony, so I'm yet to spend a lot of time working on my clean and cusp tones, so I won't offer an opinion, but I'm sure others can. (Right now I'm finishing an Excel spreadsheet for the G-Major which will allow users to exchange settings manually).

13. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

You know, then if that's the case, I'm severely tempted to give carvin a call and try one...Your clips really do show that these things compare to the vin30. It's really eyebrow raising to listen to it....

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

Funny, I thought the Carvins were quite different from the V30s until you guys started saying they are close. After listening to the clip with an open mind, they do sound close, but I think they're less close live.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just think you can hear more of the difference live. The V30s seem to distort more, which I like because you can turn down the gain on the amp with less noise. Also, the vintage 30s have a certain hairyness to them that gives them their own sound ... some like it some don't. To me, the Carvins have an awesome rhythm "power chord" sound, maybe better than the V30s. I'm not saying the lead tones are bad, it just seems like the V30s articulate each note better where the Carvins kind of blend them together ... if that makes sense. Rhythm "power chord" tones sound fat on the V30s, where the Carvins seem to be brighter and break through more.

Also, I didn't notice it originally, but it does seem like the sensativity on the Carvins may be a bit low in comparison, which may be a deal breaker for some. This didn't come through on the recording.

The reason I bought the V30s through Carvin is the 10 day return policy ... the Carvin speaker was a pack of gum in the express lane add-on. For the $20, you still get that 10 day trial, you only lose shipping.

15. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

I think they are waay different.

16. sled

sled Member

:confused: what to what :confused:

17. turtlechaser

turtlechaser Guest

I just received my Carvin speaker today and will be swapping out in my Blues Jr in the next few days. I'll let you know what I think.