Carvin SH550..........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Apr 13, 2008.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just got my new Carvin Catalog in the mail. the only reason I still get one is because I buy Carvin strings pretty regularly. (Its good crapper material)(To read not wipe!!) But none of the guitars really do anything for me, especially because they don't have a neck back shape choice. (Huge overlooked point for a Custom Shop IMO). Anyways have you seen the Single cut SH550 on the Cover? That is SICK. If I ever see one used on the Bay or in these pages I might take a chance on that one regardless of the neck shape..........

Here's a Pic of another One: http://www.premierguitar.com/magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Carvin_SH550.aspx

For some reason that guitar screams Cat Scratch Fever to me!!

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I prefer the natural over the cherry but there's something about a LP shaped & sized guitar with F-Holes that looks wrong to me.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I thought it had more of a Byrdland look to it then a LP. Very cool looking guitar :AOK.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I think it's smaller, more like an LP size.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It looked closer to LP size to me but I looked again and the red one has a bunch o' knobs and extra's that I'm not so sure would fit on a LP. At least, if it was a LP all that would be way more crowded.

The Carvin site says the body is 14 inches wide. I didn't see the body specs on the Gibson site and I'm not home to measure. It does sound like it's bigger than a LP.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I live about 20 minutes from the Carvin factory. I finally got a chance to pop in and check these out a few weeks ago. Like all Carvins, very well made. Like all (most?) Carvins the neck shape just didn't do it for me. Too thin front to rear and too flat of a fingerboard. If they would make a neck with some meat to it, and a fingerboard with a little more curvature (like 10" or 12") I'd hit it, but it's not for me. They still seem to cater to the '80s shread crowd with their necks.

7. NickZ

NickZ Member

All carvins come standard with a 12 inch radius and you can get a 10 inch or 14 inch radius as an option.
    Neck size and shape is fairly subjective - but if you want to feel a larger type of neck try out the holdsworth model - it is the largest they make I believe.

8. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Bingo.
    Every Carvin I've ever played has been extremely well made, and insanely good value for the money. But...
    It is beyond me why a company like Carvin will offer so many options, but not a neck's back contour. Perhaps it's not a cheap enough option to offer, and would bust their bottom line, but IMO it's a BIG mistake. I don't think I'm alone in not liking their thin, shredder-friendly necks. (Maybe offering larger necks might help their resale value too.)
    C'mon Carvin, wake up! The 80s are long gone!

-db

9. starjag

starjag Member

I have small hands and love Carvin necks :)

10. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

FWIW, I could be considered a "shredder" and I LOVE a BIG, FAT baseball bat of a neck!! To me they feel better and the tone is far better as well. Can't stand super thin, Ibanez type necks, they make my fretting hand cramp when playing chords.

I'm sure if Carvin got enough requests for a neck shape option they would offer it eventually. They never used to offer fretboard radius options but as stated above they offer three now. One thing they recently did right was to stop installing carbon-fiber rods in their guitar necks. I've heard that they really suck tone and make the guitar sound sterile and stiff.

Cheers,

CJ

11. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

The necks on the SH guitars are significantly larger than the 90s necthroughs.

12. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

When did this happen?

I have three Carvins and don't find them sterile or stiff. They do keep their tune amazingly well, perhaps because of the carbon rods.

13. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I played one--posted a short comment in another thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4062720#post4062720

I think they are pretty nice.

I can't remember how the neck profile felt on it, but I concur with the above poster--Carvin needs some other neck profiles! The ones that bother me seem like maybe they are almost "D" shaped--kind of awkward feeling. I don't mind the huge Holdsworth neck for some reason :)

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No Doubt.........how can you call yourself a Custom Shop and not offer at least 2 or even 3 neck sizes? I bet they lose alot of customers becuase of that.

15. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

They might, but if I conceive of all the returns they'd get if they offered even 3 different neck carves, I can see why they don't. Also, I don't know why people always throw the "How can they call themselves a custom shop if they don't..." label on Carvin when it pretty much applies to every "custom shop" guitar maker that I can think of (ie; just because you call yourself a custom shop doesn't mean that you will do absolutely anything the custom wants).

-Austin

16. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Carvins are custom-spec'ed production guitars. If you want a truly custom-made guitar there are plenty of builders out there you'll just need to pay 4 times the price.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The Neck is the most intimate part of the instrument. You can have the best of everything........if the neck ain't right its gotta go. Carvin needs to add a meatier sized neck. Like PRS I know exactly what I'm getting when someone describes the neck as Wide Fat or Wide Thin.

This is not asking for anything out there or crazy. Its as basic as Body Woods, colors and all the other stuff and WAYYYYYYY more important.

18. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Carvin probably would add the neck, but demand must justify the need... Obviously they keep their necks to 3 shapes for a reason... More than likely they have those 3 cookie cutter shapes and it's easier and more cost effiecient at this time. If demand saw fit for them to throw in another neck shape, they might do it..

19. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

I would think their return policy would keep them from doing multiple neck profiles. Too easy to get a new guitar built to spec and then return it if you don't like it. Name one of the big "custom shops" who will let you return it if you don't like it!

They should offer multiple neck sizes/profiles and different pickup selections, but with the stipulation that the 14 day (it's still 14 days, isn't it?) return policy does NOT apply!

20. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

This was my exact point. I think if they were to make different neck profiles unreturnable, it would end up backfiring on them.

-Austin