Carvin V3 MC 1x12 vs Boogie 5:50 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by musicman1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Can anybody comment regarding a comparision of these 2 combos?

I have read a lot of info about the Boogie, watched several demos vids and can easily get access to try the Boogie but am wondering about the Carvin since it seems similar in design but at a considerable cost savings (which is important to me).

I like the idea of 50, 22 and 7 watts in the Carvin as well.

Also wondering how Carvin amps stand up tonally and reliability wise. Thanks

2. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Don't know about the combo, but I just picked up a V3M head. Can't believe how good this amp sounds through a 4-12 cab. It has this nice "Recto" type feel with a little Marshall thrown in, but at lower volumes and with a little more warmth (EL84's). Main reason for buying is I wanted a multi-channel tube amp that I could use at home (7 watt setting), while also having the ability to take it out to a gig. (and it didn't hurt that they are on sale right now).

I've played both the 5:25 and 5:50 Express series. I like these as well, though they have a different sound. The Carvin has more gain while the Express seemed smoother. Mesa has better build quality and resale value, though the Carvin is half the price.

As for the Carvin: If you like the sound of this clip from roughly 4:23-4:55, then it's worth picking up a new one using their trial period. If you hate that sound... go with the Mesa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUrRVldYlY