• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Carvin v3? or what?

Xinspaly

Well.. I am new here, but i have some questions that im trying to get answered before i make my first large investment in music, and hopefully you nice guys and gals here can help 8)

I have at MAX 1k to spend on an amp, (excluding cab im making a 2x12 with Eminence wizards in it)

What im looking at here, is an all-tube amp thats extremely versatile, I play anything from Led zepplin, to ac/dc, to GnR, all the way to metallica, avenged sevenfold, and children of bodom, so i really want something that can shine in just about any spot..

What i seemed to have find is the Carvin V3, but i've heard interesting stories.. such as its not good for modern metal/rock, and that tube replacement doesnt help at all, i want to know if this is true?

Im also looking at a carvin x100b with a Tubescreamer, a set of rubys of some sort for tubes, and a 10 band mxr eq, do you think this would be a better option than the v3?

Or if there are any other better options for what im looking at please tell me 8)

Critter

That is 100 percent untrue.. (Tubes make a huge difference and they are very versatile, and good for modern metal)
I've played though at least 5 different V3's some with the original tubes, newer ones with the Groove tubes, and one that I owned with Ruby Tubes and the one with the Ruby's sounded the best. Actually it was also owned by a guy on here, I got it from the guy he got rid of it to. (kurtstuff).
Every time someone asks that question "I have $1k to spend on an amp" The V3 a used JSX, and a couple others come to mind. V3 being the most versatile depending on the tubes and speakers you use..

Xinspaly

Hmm, thank you, i thought it was quite odd that tube replacement didnt help for ONLY the v3..

I really like ALL the tones i can get out of it, and i figured with some higher distortion AX7's that baby will be able to do some absolutely terrifying crunch..

What about speakers though? im lookin to spend less than 100 per, and i here eminence wizards are overall amazing speakers, but i also hear swamp thangs are full and bassy (I can't get enough bass i love it).

Hopefully i will be getting a job this wednesday, so after i get my parents to loan me 1k for the amp/pedal thingy with it, i can start gettin the cab ready, and totally retube it, and get a 10band, and MAYBE a tubescreamer, if its really neccisary,

think that sounds good for what i play?

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Mark IV's are coming down in price little lately- it fits the description you're looking for.

Xinspaly

Yeah, but idk if im blind or what.. but i can not find ANY.. craigslist in the entire state of illinois and missouri is useless.. not huge on ebay.. and ive only seen 1500ish on there

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
If you stumble onto a used Peavey Ultra or better yet Ultra Plus-grab it. Its a predecessor to the XXX and JSX(before they tweaked the JSX to death IMO). Great all tube 3 channel amps that go for rediculously cheap prices. 120watts with a 1/2 power switch. I bought this Ultra Plus at Sam Ash for 299$! Its a keeper! The Ultra's only down side is shared EQ between the crunch and Ultra channels but an EQ pedal in the loop will solve that. Besides the cyunch channel is slightly brighter and lends itself to rhythm .At any rate the amp covers a lot of ground for stupid prices.Built like a tank too. Heres mine.The Ultra Plus has a cool light up logo that changes color to indicate the channel your using too. :) Bob

Critter

Hmm, thank you, i thought it was quite odd that tube replacement didnt help for ONLY the v3..

I really like ALL the tones i can get out of it, and i figured with some higher distortion AX7's that baby will be able to do some absolutely terrifying crunch..

What about speakers though? im lookin to spend less than 100 per, and i here eminence wizards are overall amazing speakers, but i also hear swamp thangs are full and bassy (I can't get enough bass i love it).

Hopefully i will be getting a job this wednesday, so after i get my parents to loan me 1k for the amp/pedal thingy with it, i can start gettin the cab ready, and totally retube it, and get a 10band, and MAYBE a tubescreamer, if its really neccisary,

think that sounds good for what i play?
Yeah, if you want to save some cash on speakers, look for an old Peavey 412MS (be careful some had sheffields) or butcher cab with Celestion G12k85's. The bass is Thunderous..

I didn't try high gain tubes in my V3, sometimes they can be too much like the ones I put in my 5150 combo. I had to change them back to standard. The two that make the most difference are the first and last spots. In my JCM800 I have two high gain tubes V1 V2 and a standard in V3. Tried a high gain in V3 but it makes the tone harsh.

I would still have my V3 but needed to sell it to pay for my Bogner.
Tips on the V3,
The master EQ (tone controls for the power section) are extremely important in dialing in good tone, so is the Boost function. Set the master EQ then set each channel then adjust the master EQ going back and forth between channels to get the most out of it.

Changing out the first two tubes slightly effects the clean channel but effects the two distotion channels a lot
The first tube is the input buffer for all three channels (Clean, Rhythm and Lead) and the first gain stage for the Rhythm and Leand channels.
The second tube is the next gain stage for the Rhythm and lead channels.
3rd tube drive stage for the clean channel and FX send buffer
4th tube FX return Buffer and Master EQ controls
5th tube PI tube power section driver should be balanced for best possible tone and note clarity.
I found myself running with the boost on most of the time to give a fatter tone. And the one thing I thought they should have fixed, you must have the footswitch to turn on the boost.

I have an Ultra 60 here that I fixed for a guy, like Rockon1 said it is a great amp for the money, kind of reminds me of a 5150 II tone wise.

gbsmusic

Silver Supporting Member
That is 100 percent untrue.. (Tubes make a huge difference and they are very versatile, and good for modern metal)
I've played though at least 5 different V3's some with the original tubes, newer ones with the Groove tubes, and one that I owned with Ruby Tubes and the one with the Ruby's sounded the best. Actually it was also owned by a guy on here, I got it from the guy he got rid of it to. (kurtstuff).
Every time someone asks that question "I have $1k to spend on an amp" The V3 a used JSX, and a couple others come to mind. V3 being the most versatile depending on the tubes and speakers you use..
+1 They are great sounding amps!! And for the $$$ you cant go wrong. Keep watching Ebay, I've seen heads in good shape go for $750.

Critter

That's what I got for mine with all new Ruby tubes plus both footswitches. Although they are on sale now for $849 new ($100 off)

MetalHeadd

I have a JSX head and find that it covers a ton of ground. Great cleans, crunch and lead tones with lots of tweakability. Can be had for well under $1000 on the used market. Worth checking out, they're all over the place so you should be able to find one to try.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe check into Brugera? I have no experience with them, but they seem to fit your needs quite well, especially for the $$$.

6Tones

Maybe check into Brugera? I have no experience with them, but they seem to fit your needs quite well, especially for the $$$.
+1,Ive heard some prettydam good metal/hardrock tones from videos of this amp online.

Xinspaly

THe only reason im straying from bugera is i hear only horrible things at bugeras breaking constantly, and that they are very poorly made.. otherwise they sound beautiful, but then again so does the v3, which what it seems im leaning on now unless i can try some peavey ultras, or a traynor,

Darth Tater

Silver Supporting Member
Spend that $1000 on a used Soldano Hot Rod. I can't imagine you would be able to get a better amp than that for that amount.

Xinspaly

sorry to bring up a kinda old topic but i got a few more questions..

My v3 just got shot outa the water by my parents..

and now im looking at a carvin x100b, peavey ultra, (cant find any used >.<) and maybe a bugera 333xl but those are unstable i hear..

If i were to get a x100b with a quartet of tungsol el34's,would i need a tubescreamer to really push for "brootalz"? and perhaps a mxr10band?

Or are there better options? Im searching my balls off for a peavey ultra though

edit- budget got lowered by half, so 500-700MAX..

vicdeluca71

If your still looking for a versitile speaker check into EVM 12l's.I got mine used off ebay for around $100 a piece.I use those in a twin reverb and they go from pristine cleans to brutal distortion without breaking a sweat.They are the every trick pony of speakers.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Don't buy an X100B....just don't...it's a VERY dated design....It might have been designed before you were born.[that's not a slam]..I'd find a good used JSX, Ultra, or 5150 for that matter

Xinspaly

jeeeze thanks rod.. haha just kidding i know what you mean, i dont see what the problem is if its dated? i mean i actually get to try the x100 out before i buy it so if i dont like it i wont consider it..Yeah, the cheapest ive seen a 5150 is 725, maybe i can trade my rig and 400 for the head haha, who knows.. i might need a bit more diversity than the 5150 though.. i hear its a 1 trick pony.. same for 6505 (which i think i like more than the 5150,) all the videos of a 5150 ive heard have been either bad quality or very ball-less..

Anything im looking past besides the Ultra, 5150, 6505, jsx? I also just realized those are only peaveys.. im into aynthing that plays my music not just peavey 8)

Trending Topics