Carvin V3 - wow!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guts, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Guts

Guts Member

Heard a band play a Carvin V3 100w on a mesa cab. It was the rhythm guitarist who was playing it, and it obviously slaughtered the Line6 that the lead guitar was on.

Maybe it was because I heard like 4 Krankensteins before the V3, but really I had also heard a 5150 that night too, and I was still thoroughly impressed by the V3.

So I just went to the Carvin website to check its price, and correct me if I'm making a huge mistake, but it looks like it's only a thousand bucks???

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3

I've never even ordered an amp from a company before, I always go with equipment that I can test drive first. Kind of a dumb question, but tell me something about direct, sale, and listed prices because there's gotta be some kind of catch. This amp is too good to be true.

Also, any experience?

2. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I have heard great things about them and the Legacy.

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Carvin is a great company with high quality products for below retail store prices. I've played & owned several of their products and have always been pleased. I believe they still have a 10 day no questions asked return policy.. check it out!

4. Bstring

Bstring Member

I say go for it!! I own the Legacy and am totally impressed. Sounds like the tones it puts out had got you hooked already.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

What is the build like? Top end tranny? Is it smooth or buzz saw sounding?

6. Guts

Guts Member

3 channels, separate eq's, bright and deep switch, 2 feet long, built like a recto.
    Definitely smooth from lows to highs, and not too scooped. Not harsh or fizzy at all.

7. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Hendog has one in the emporium for, as of yesterday, $650. I really liked the one I heard last summer. Worth it.

I have no affiliation with Hendog, just a great deal.

8. bemeyer

bemeyer Member

I've yet to hear a good clip of one. Very fizzy.

9. Hendog

Hendog Member

Thanks, frisco.

The V3 is amazing for $1,000 and I am selling a like new one for $650. PM me.

10. Hendog

Hendog Member

They are only fizzy below 2.5 on the master volume. The amp opens up big time over 3 and that is a very managable volume.

11. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

I heard the Legacy 2 has a Mercury Magnetics output transformer now. Seems like a big improvement over the old Legacy.

12. Trout

Trout Member

Had one over here about 3 weeks ago. We opened it up to take a peek before switching it to a pair of 6L6's instead of a quad of EL34's.

My brother bought it for his STP cover band. His biggest complaint being the dullness. He was expecting more brightness but has ended up just leaving the treble dimed all the time.

Internally it is pretty typical of current PCB amp. layout is fairly good, but most certainly a techs nightmare. It would be best during an service to just get the proper board if something fry's.

Reliable as all hell so far. Never any odd noises, pops or failures. I think he has done 13 or 14 gigs with it now, and about 35 practice sessions. Price is great for all it does.

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Senior Member

Truth.

Carvins love to be turned up.

Even my old Legacy was a little fuzzy at its lowest volumes, but once turned up it transformed into awesomesauce.

14. Hendog

Hendog Member

Good to hear.

15. Snowdog74

Snowdog74 Member

I know the Legacy's are not built very well and are not any fun to work on , seems like there is at least two (at the shop I go to) in for repairs every time I am up there. Not sure about the V3's but I would doubt they are built any better.

If you have 1K to spend , I would look around and find something better, used even. Imo

16. dughaze

dughaze Member

Funny, I didn't like my buddies V3 with my Recto 2x12 cab but it did sound good with the V3 G12T75 cab speakers. The V3 is a good sounding amp and so is the Legacy. I would recommend getting the V3 cab or something with G12T75's in it for the V3 while the Legacy sounds good with Vintage 30's.