Carvin V3m

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6Tones, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Any good clips of this amp?Most the video demos online sound seen muddy and uninspiring sounding
    :huh

2. standingzero

standingzero Member

I own the amp and I haven't seen any real good vids, nor do I have good recording equipment. To be honest the videos aren't super far off from how it sounds. I like the amp, but don't love it. Was given as a gift and I'm very thankful for it.

It's got a great feature set, good solid tones, but nothing super "inspiring". Guys on the Carvin forum swear that a JJ tube upgrade makes a huge difference. I've bought a set and am waiting for some multimeter clips so I can do the install. Will also upgrade w/ a warehouse or weber speaker in the future most likely.

Here are some clips that are better than most:

3. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Like many here have already said, I love the features on this amp, and the price is absolutely stellar, but it of course all comes down to tone, and while I haven't heard one in person, the clips I've heard are quite disappointing. I know Carvin's in the business of full-featured, American-made amps at reduced prices, but I seriously would love it if they'd just charge a few hundred more and put more into their gear. Guess I've officially become a TGP corksniffer now lol.
    Steve

4. madryan

madryan Member

horrid sounding amp.

5. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

While is doesn't sound as good at my Blockhead or Multiwatt Dual Rectifier, I wouldn't call it "horrid sounding".

The interesting thing that I find with my V3M is that it needs some volume. Yes, it's a small lunch-box type amp, but it doesn't sound great at very low volumes. Get the volume up to band practice levels and it's actually pretty good.

6. madryan

madryan Member

I rank it somewhat better than a Genz Benz El Diablo but it sucks compared to a Peavey XXX.

Just a buzzy, lifeless amp IMO.

Carvin tried to sell it on the features not the tone because honestly, the tone sucks.

7. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

So I take it with this opinion you have obviously played it, or is this just another opinion based on clip:facepalm If you have played it tell us a little more, I'd be interested.

8. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I'll have to disagree with you there. I have a Peavey Triple X sitting right next to my Carvin (The XXX is used as a back up to my Dual Rect when playing live. I would use the V3M as a backup, but need the higher wattage on occasion).
    The XXX has a more compressed sound that can be a little undefined. While the XXX is smooth sounding, it doesn't cut like a good Marshall. The V3M, with it's EL84 tubes cuts better than my XXX with JJ KT-77's.

I actually used both the Carvin and Peavey at a recent band practice. My band members said the Carvin sounded better and I agree.

9. boltcrank6

boltcrank6 Member

10. demea26

demea26 Member

My V3M/2x12 cab arrive today so I'll tell ya'll what I think of it in a couple days.
    Bought it on a whim since I had the V3 2x12 combo about 5-6 years ago and gigged pretty heavy with it for about a year. Was good for me in the respect that it covered alot of ground for my coverband needs. Couldn't get 'great' tones out of it, but it was pretty good.

I figured I'd try the V3M due to the power scaling and reverb, two of the features that I felt the V3 was lacking in.

11. boltcrank6

boltcrank6 Member

12. James M

James M Supporting Member

So, whadda you think of the V3 mini so far?

13. 83stratman

83stratman Member

My friend has one. How you describe the clips is kind of how I would describe the amp.

14. dughaze

dughaze Member

Be sure to try the Carvin matching speakers with it at some point. A buddy of mine had a V3 and the matching cab and it sounded pretty good but it did not sound so well with my beloved V30 loaded cab. I was shocked at the difference. I suspect the V3M may be like this as well.

15. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

My V3M sounds great using Greenbacks, especially in a 4-12 cab. Also sounded decent with some Mesa MC90's.
    Didn't like it with V30's. Seemed a bit nasal sounding.