Carvin Vintage 16/5, stock or V30 speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by candid_x, Jul 9, 2008.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I'm very familiar with the sound of V30's but I have no idea how the stock Carvin is voiced. Any comments on whether the stock speaker or a V30 would sound best in this little amp?

Thanks
    Bruce

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

Neither, go with a G12H30 or equivalent.

3. candid_x

Such as a Wizard. Yes, but that's not my question. I have a 1x12 cab with a Wizard and another with a RW&B, both uniquely different. I plan to plug these into the Carvin, but if given a choice between one loaded with a V30 or the stock Carvin VL12 speaker, which would you choose?

4. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

please allow me to comment here. first off, Hasserl has the best mods for the Carvin amps!! if you do decide to mod it for much better control and sound, he is the man.

okay, the VL12 is voiced with more highs than the V30. the lows are similar and the mid spike is voiced lower on the Carvin speaker. my opinion is the VL12 is closer to the G12T than the V30.

i dig the Carvin VL12 and it is a better speaker for a small amp. it has a "deeper" voice. the highs can be a bit much, but the low end response is more pronounced.

5. candid_x

Very clear now. Thank you both very much.