Carvin X-100B ... thoughts? prices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scarekrow, Mar 7, 2008.

1. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

I have an X-100B that I bought new in the late 80's/early 90's(?). It's black tolex, GT EL-34's (x4), 4,8 or 16 ohm, 25, 50 or 100w. Full size box - like Marshall.
    So, I'd like some honest opinions/thoughts on this model and a suggested current street value, please.
    Back in the post-punk days, a strat w/barts and an orig. RAT & that amp would sing thru a Marshall 2-12 cab. Never let me down. But, I was just giving up bass for a season and haven't used it in years... maybe it's time to clean house.
    Thanks for your thoughts - good or bad.

2. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

probably $300-350. No telling what will happen to the value with the reissues coming out next month.

I've got a 6l6 version. Right now it is getting modded to give it more of a crunch sound, but I like the amp a lot.

3. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

What, they're re-issuing this model?

4. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

5. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

how about that?! what timing....

Any pre-release reviews out there?

any other thoughts on these amps?

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

there is plenty of info on these out there on the Carvin Amps Forum. You can get to it from their main page.

7. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

thanks, es125luv.
    More so, I'm hoping for opinions on the original issue amps; how you think they sound, compared to what, dependability, luv?, value?
    Just help me decide to keep it or sell... ultimately I'll make up my own mind, but something has to go.

8. es125luv

es125luv Member

The reissue was just released for NAMM 2008, but there is a lot of opinions on the old versions on their forum.

I personally, am not a Carvin player at this time. I had a MTS, a Vintage 50 and a Legacy, but I didn't care for them. I tried though.

My Dr. Z Maz is plenty for me.

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I had a X100B that I bought new back in 1983. I used it until about 1991. It was a great amp. Good cleans, good overdrive IMO. I would use a Tube Screamer if I needed more dirt.

About two years ago I decided to buy another X100B because I remembered how much I like my old one. So I bought a clean used X100B and used it for a couple of weeks and then sold it.

IMO, it's just not as good as amps of today. I won't be buying another one.

There are plenty of used X100B out there. You could probably get one for under $350. That's actually a good deal. It's a helluva amp for $350

10. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

Dr.Z > < Carvin = no fair comparison. Of course. A good friend of mine plays a Rt.66 w/ an OCD and a Baker and just kills w/tone! And his blk face Deluxe is arguably nearly as sweet. IMO, it's got a lot to do with the hands.

So, thanks gents, for the X-100B replies and the Carvin forum direction. :AOK