Cascade Fat Head II Microphone

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Lonely Raven, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I'm doing some research on guitar microphones...and I'm really interested in the Cascade Fat Head II Microphone. I see people saying it's only $159-$169, but I can only find it directly from Cascade for $200.

Anyone know where I can get this microphone for less then $200?

2. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I bought a FH II last August and it was $199. The FH I was around $159. I thought either were well worth it and still do. I like the II.

4. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Maybe that's it. Maybe poeple meant the I rather then the II.

5. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Thanks, I guess I'm just going to order the II then.

6. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

The II is the same as the I internally and soundwise. It just looks nicer.

7. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I've seen lots of hype on this mic. What does it sound good on?

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I must admit I bought this based on their comparison clip to a Royer 121 and because it was relatively cheap. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with mic'ing to make any comparisons or judgements, and my whole recording technique needs a lot of work (that's a whole other story).

I too would like to know what others with more experience think of it.

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

don't ribbon mics usually require mic pres with a lot of headroom, usually more than the typical prosumer one or two channel pedal or half rack unit?

Are these as delicate as the ribbon mics of yore?

If they sound good, a stereo matched pair for 300 bucks (fat head I) is a pretty damn good price.

thanks a lot. I haven't recorded anything in over a year and yet you managed to ignite MAS (microphone acquisition syndrome) No MAS, no MAS, I can't afford it. :Spank :rotflmao

11. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Sorry about that, Dan.

I've been reading up a lot on microphones, and for the type of recording I (think) I like doing, all the reviews of this one sound spot on for what I'm looking for.

Honestly, my guitar playing is so below average, I'm hoping hearing myself recorded will help me sort out some weaknesses, or at least practice out of shame. :)

12. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

Depends on the ribbon mic. Some of the new ones are active, meaning they are fed off phantom or have their own power supply. These newer ones are also alot more rugged. The royers come to mind in this catagory.

The fathead, is more like an original ribbon. Very delicate and does require a fair amount of "clean" headroom. Some pres get very colored or distorted if you drive them. You need one that you can drive without coloring. Usually people will say 65 or 70dB of clean headroom is plenty. I wouldnt run off and buy some expensive pre quite yet, see how you like it with your current pres. Maybe it will work fine.

I think people were talking about getting these cheaper by another company. I know Nady makes one that looks the same but is cheaper. Its not secret that all these mics are made in the same factory, then rebadged as whatever company. The cascades hand select the good ones, and this is why they are a bit more. I havent heard many QC stories from cascade, so they must be doing something right.

13. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

The Cascade certainly look more then their price tag in build quality.

14. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I'd be curious to know how this guy fares against the CAD Trion 7000. They seem to be roughly about the same cost. I've heard clips of the Trion (actually bought one too, but it was bad and I had to send it back).

Now I'm just tooling around looking at different options...Fathead, Trion, MD421 (hell maybe a 409 if I get up the nerve to spend the $$).

Too many choices, too little time and money.

15. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

LOL, no problem. That is exactly the reason why I started to learn how to record. I have dozens of tapes, which I really wish I had labeled more comprehensively (like a date with the YEAR on it, yeesh). Sometimes I feel like just taking a huge magnet and destroying the evidence, then burn the tapes. Then I find those little diamonds in the rough and go "Hey, that didn't suck so bad".:rotflmao

Know what is a bitch? Back when I had a full-time job, I had the money to buy stuff but not the time to use it. Now that I have time, I don't have the money to buy stuff, plus I've sold a lot of stuff to pay bills.:rolleyes:

16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

LonelyRaven - what do you have for a mic pre? Do you have any mics now?

17. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I've got a Seasound Solo PCI 24/96 Card with the pretty blue Breakout box. The pre on it is a bit steril, but it's clean and clear. As for microphones, I've got a beat up old SM57 that I dislike the sound of, and a Sure Beta of some sort that sounds good, but I'm pretty sure it's a vocal mic.

I have a very powerful computer and I have access to lots of software for recording...but like you, I just don't have time to use it much.

18. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Anyone do any comparisons between the Fathead and the Cad Trion 7000 yet? I've been looking at both and have heard good things about both. I'd love to buy a Royer but that's probably out of the question right now.

19. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Interesting, they have a Satriani pack. I've always appreciated his ear for recording, if not always tone (if that makes sense).

20. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I was all set to order a Fathead II, but I've fired off 2 emails to their Sales email and never got responses. I did send a third email and asked for their sampler CD which came about a month later. Kind of worries me about their customer support. I'm actually opting now to get the Blue Woodpecker instead. Everyone seems to be doing the same old ribbon thing, except Blue.