Cascade Fathead 2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gainiac, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Ok.......I'm not one usuallly to jump onto a bandwagon but I've heard entirely too many good things about this mic'. It seems ridiculously cheap as well which makes me think it's too good to be true. Anyhow, I bought one (Fathead II), with the Lundahl TF upgrade.

What can I expect? What are your experiences with this mic'?

Martin

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

You can expect it to be quite different from other dynamics and from condensers. You can expect a high frequency rolloff at a relatively low 5KHz.

What you might get in exchange, using the mic correctly, is a very sweet, natural sounding recording of various sources.

Be patient, experiment with it, and you might find uses for it. The reason I say this is that lots of people buy ribbons, and listen to the first recording and are ready to return the mic. But patience can be rewarded.

Don't expect "hi-fi". But a ribbon's not lo-fi either. It's just something different.

I've worked with Royers, but not Fatheads, however the concept isn't too dissimilar. Ribbon mics are different animals, and you need to work with them a while to find out how and when they're going to be useful for you.

If you want a lot of high end shimmer, no. You won't get it. If you want a nice, sweet midrange, with a lot of detail in that range, yes, you can get it if you set up the mic right. A nice source for a ribbon all by itself is a slide dobro, for example. They make nice room mics for drums. They work on guitar amps, tho I much prefer them with a dynamic or condenser mixed in. Etc.

I think that's pretty much what you can expect. Oh yeah, (some, not all) ribbons are relatively delicate. Be careful with it. Some ribbons even have to be stored upright to prevent the ribbon from losing its shape. They can be blown out easily, even with a plosive from a loud singer, or a drum hit, etc. Use a pop screen.

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I have two Fatheads for MS Micing and love the sound I get with my 4x12 cabs.I use them in conjunction my Heil pr 30 mics up close and the fatheads out in the room.I've marked the floor where everything needs to be for my favorite tones.I like the Fatheads because they were designed specifically
    for recording elec gtr cabs.

4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Another big fan of the FatHead on guitar cabs. Nothing above 5k from a 12" speaker that I want to hear anyway:)
    Blend with a 57 to taste.

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

I posted some clips of my fathead in a thread that is a couple months old now. It should be on one of the first 5 pages or so of the All About Recording subforum.

In my limited experience, the mic works well about 37 inches back from the cab, with a 57 on the grille. As Les mentions, it adds a natural and sweet dimension to the track, in terms of depth and balance to the frequency response. If you want a bright in your face tone, a dynamic on the grille is sufficient, though.

6. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Does anyone here have experience with the Fathead with the Lundahl transformer? The sound samples with the Lundahl sounds better to my ears. Also, there's a another Fathead ribbon called the Gomez (Michael Joly edition) that's more expensive but apparently has more detail. Anyone hear the Gomez?

7. aram

aram Member

I'd also be interested in hearing how the Fathead sounds compared to a Beyer M160.

I'm looking to get a Ribbon soon and was considering the M160, but if the Fathead sounds just as good I might as well get it and save some dough.

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Gomez is not another fathead mic, the fathead is a model name for a Cascade mic. The Gomez is a model name for another Cascade mic. Both are Cascade mics. Sorry if that sounds pedantic, I've been working out bounded Hessian determinants and other fun stuff in calculus so my mind is especially prickly at the moment. LOL.

About the transformer upgrade, when I researched this topic last year opinions were roughly equal between: it's an improvement (richer tones, more depth, etc.) to different but not necessarily better (if venturing a guess I would expect the latter opinion to be more accurate, but that's a guess after all).

Anyway, good luck with your search. I can only say that I am very happy so far with my fathead. For the price, it's not a high risk investment/purchase.

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I definitely like mixing the FHII with other mics, but the high frequency roll-off makes a difference to me (at least I could hear the difference between it and other mics). That said, I think it is a great mic for the money. I did not get the Xfrmr upgrade.

10. beej

beej Supporting Member

I've got a Fathead on order- should be here this week. Along with a decent preamp (RNP), time to up my recordings a notch. I'll report back when I've had some time to play with it.

Guys that have one- are you blending with another mic, and if so, which one? I'm planning on using my trusty e906, assuming it'll blend well with the FH.

11. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Thanks folks for the responses.........

I am familiar with the Royers and have used them, I just don't want to shell out $2200.00 for a 122.

Les as you said,
    That's what I'm going for, this and to add girth. I will be using this in tandem with other mics' to capture high end, and attack.......

12. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

I used the fathead and LOVE IT. I record a 2 x 12 cab in a closet. The cab is open back mesa boogie. I have one EV dynamic on the back, and the cascade in front about 8 inches back out of phase. Sounds great to my ears.