Case candy is a waste of money

Adam1578

All those nicknacks are kind of a a waste I think.

When I bought my new Fender American Standard Telecaster, it came with cheap tools (allen wrenches), a cheap ugly strap, a very cheap 10 ft cable, maybe a cloth, and a manual or something like that. Not even a COA. I'd much rather have a COA than all these cheap things that I already have better versions of. Give me the guitar in the case, and paperwork. No need for this stuff, especially for more expensive guitars. I would think most people spending over $1000 on a guitar would have all of these things already. It almost devalues the purchase by having a great guitar with cheapo accessories. Maybe I could see some Squier models having it but I'd rather have $50 off the price than basically garbage that breaks in 3 months.

As far as buying used, as long as I can verify the guitar is legitimate, no problems with not having a COA or even the case if buying local. Having the case candy thrown in or not makes no difference.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I've gotten straps, cables, and once a nice tool kit that are all good quality and useful, so I don't know about the garbage that breaks in three months part. I can't think of anything I've gotten over the years that would qualify for that comment.

But I could do without it too, and have never thought about it when buying a new guitar. We can guess at how much it costs the maker to include them, or how much more if anything they might charge for including them. Maybe not as much as some might think. I think it's a thing they created that they're stuck with perpetuating.

The whole COA thing has gotten out of hand IMO, ridiculous that people think it's worth hundreds of dollars when buying used, for something that has no real usefulness. Enough people do that I have to consider it, but only to a point.

Last edited:

sunking101

I would rather have some strings or some decent polish than the crap I get. With Gibson Custom Shop you get nothing, nada. Not even a truss rod wrench. With their 50% cheaper USA models you get a multi-tool, cleaning cloth and a useless strap. A really nasty, gossamer-thin leather strap that stinks of chemicals.

With my Fenders I got a pencil case containing a truss rod wrench.

:rolleyes:

Killed_by_Death

Yeah, it's nonsense. I bought a $1K+ instrument last year, the only thing in the gig-bag that I actually used were the strap-locks. I'm also a little pissed about getting a dodgy gig-bag with a $1K+ instrument!

I gave the cheap-ass instrument cable away when I sold a less-expensive instrument.

The only time I ever used one of those case-candy instrument cables was for a footswitch.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
I agree - generally it's worthless tat that I'd rather was put into improving the guitar or the case itself.

Having said that, those who spend megabucks on custom shop items may always seek their 'certificate of exclusivity' (yes, I am jealous).

Edit: Individual tools are generally appreciated (though not any sort of multi tool), but I'll pass on the cheapo strap, cable, tags, placemats, cufflinks, book of matches etc.

Last edited:

Brian N

It costs the manufacturer less than a dollar or two to include that case candy and it helps sell many more guitars. Marketing teams want people to prefer buying new products over used, and that case candy is a little incentive to do that. It also increases customer satisfaction; when someone pays a couple thousand bucks for a guitar, it helps them feel like they got a quality product that was meticulously designed.

Long story short, it costs next to nothing, it helps sell guitars, and deters literally no one.

And as far as a certificate of authenticity; who cares? It's a piece of paper with some words printed on it. It doesn't prove an item's authenticity, nor would any auction house or shop rely on it to prove a guitar's authenticity.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I always find the COA thing a bit baffling, as if factories who've figured out how to duplicate an entire guitar and its parts are going to turn round and say 'nah, give it up lads, I thought we had it but turns out there's a bit of card in the case with some writing on it, we'll never be able to recreate that accurately enough to pass for the real thing'.

ixnay

Sounds like a new MIM Fender/Charvel/Jackson would be perfect for you. Last few I've purchased came with nothing but the box.

The OP's Fender example is a bit outdated too. Last time I saw that kind of stuff included with an American Series guitar was about 10 years ago. I bought a new American Elite Strat last year, and it didn't come with a strap, polishing cloth, cable, etc. As far as a COA goes, that usually comes with higher end models anyway.

Last edited:

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on what it is. At least for now not having a piece of paper won’t devalue a regular production guitar. My last Gibson came with at least a truss rod tool . Fender used to come with a decent strap. Yes the cable is cheap, but it’s a decent backup cable. Skip the strings, because everyone likes different ones.

My Fender CS strat came with cruztools tool kit that I use a fair amount, all conveniently located in one pouch. Keep bringing the case candy and skip a COA for a production guitar.

Guitarworks

Included accessories are nice...*when they're good quality merchandise*. The only company I've seen include even reasonable quality stuff is PRS. I think they actually get it; they understand that the customer doesn't want to be insulted with cheap crap even on their offshore models. Gibson and Fender only include case candy as a novelty; they want the consumer to feel like they're getting 'so many extras' to ease the pain of paying through the nose and out the @$$. But it's still the same old story - consumers always want something for nothing and don't want to feel like they're getting hosed even when they are, companies don't want to include anything for free that costs them any money whatsoever, so what you get is cheap chincy junk that makes the consumer feel better and costs the company nothing to include.

JohnSykes

Honestly, i started paying attention to Case Candy as i grew older. I only cared if the guitar played right when i was younger.

Now that i play much less than i used to, i pay attention to all of the bs around the instrument.

ben777

My favorite WTF case candy piece is the Gibson white cloth gloves, as if the guitar is an item that is not supposed to be played.

That one is so highly ridiculous.

I like getting the tools. They're not expensive, but it's nice to have them without having to track them down. If they weren't included I'd really prefer the documentation with the guitar include a printout of exactly which tools to buy, as there are some tiny bolts/screws on bridges, saddles, and pickups which can be damaged with the wrong tool, and it can be hard to tell with tiny parts whether they're metric or english and the part can be damaged very quickly trying to figure out. I like having a decent set in the case for a given guitar in case something happens too.

eupbin

Gold Supporting Member
I've gotten straps, cables, and once a nice tool kit that are all good quality and useful, so I don't know about the garbage that breaks in three months part. I can't think of anything I've gotten over the years that would qualify for that comment.

But I could do without it too, and have never thought about it when buying a new guitar. We can guess at how much it costs the maker to include them, or how much more if anything they might charge for including them. Maybe not as much as some might think. I think it's a thing they created that they're stuck with perpetuating.

The whole COA thing has gotten out of hand IMO, ridiculous that people think it's worth hundreds of dollars when buying used, for something that has no real usefulness. Enough people do that I have to consider it, but only to a point.
I think the only value of the COA is resale. If I'm going to keep it, I don't care about COA.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
How about “Cheap case candy is a waste of money”? I’d like quality stuff I would actually use. And a birth certificate like PRS gives (or at least used to. I haven’t bought a PRS lately).

Trending Topics