Case candy is a waste of money

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
How about “Cheap case candy is a waste of money”? I’d like quality stuff I would actually use. And a birth certificate like PRS gives (or at least used to. I haven’t bought a PRS lately).
They have a hang tag. Not quite as fancy as some brands to with a COA.

spencer096

I would rather have some strings or some decent polish than the crap I get. With Gibson Custom Shop you get nothing, nada. Not even a truss rod wrench. With their 50% cheaper USA models you get a multi-tool, cleaning cloth and a useless strap. A really nasty, gossamer-thin leather strap that stinks of chemicals.

With my Fenders I got a pencil case containing a truss rod wrench.

:rolleyes:
it really needs to be reiterated just how bad the gibson USA strap is. "genuine leather" that feels cheaper than a seatbelt.

the tool is useful tho and quality enough. i find myself using it on all my guitars more than any other tool. which...is nice?...i guess? lol.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Case candy is a little baggy full of marketing.

The other thing with case-candy is that after 40 years of playing I have developed preferences, and the branded merch in the zip-lock baggy usually misses on every point. Then, in the back of my mind, it becomes this ball and chain that I have to drag around forever, so that if I ever sell it I can claim "guitar is like new, including all case candy".

Zero fun.

Same deal with COA, but at least they take up less room.

Colnago

It would be nice if they included a cotton polish cloth, decent polish, a spare set of strings, a cheapo string winder, and some sort of COA/paperwork with new guitars. None of that is super expensive, yet all of it is useful.
We all need strings, even the wrong guage can help out in a pinch, a cheapo winder would live in my case/car/coffee table, polish and polish cloth to keep it free of grime and paperwork to prove what it is. Simple and easy and nothing destined for the landfill immediately.
I don’t want or need a crappy strap, strap locks that aren’t the same as my other ones, a “baby” picture of the guitar, a pencil case, a cheap cable, tools that break, a check list with a single line drawn though all the check points, an owners manual in 10 languages or a polish cloth that scratches my new guitar. None of that stuff is useful and generally lives in the case or I throw it out.

ixnay

it really needs to be reiterated just how bad the gibson USA strap is. "genuine leather" that feels cheaper than a seatbelt.

the tool is useful tho and quality enough. i find myself using it on all my guitars more than any other tool. which...is nice?...i guess? lol.
The Gibson strap is hilarious. I've tried to use it, but even if I max out the length, it sits way too high on me, and I'm only 6' tall. I can't imagine they're uselful to many people over 5'6".

Colnago

The Gibson strap is hilarious. I've tried to use it, but even if I max out the length, it sits way too high on me, and I'm only 6' tall. I can't imagine they're uselful to many people over 5'6".
The few of them that I’ve had shed a ridiculous amount of black “suede” bits all over the place. I can’t stand it. Just junk.

chrisjnyc

All those nicknacks are kind of a a waste I think.

When I bought my new Fender American Standard Telecaster, it came with cheap tools (allen wrenches), a cheap ugly strap, a very cheap 10 ft cable, maybe a cloth, and a manual or something like that. Not even a COA. I'd much rather have a COA than all these cheap things that I already have better versions of. Give me the guitar in the case, and paperwork. No need for this stuff, especially for more expensive guitars. I would think most people spending over $1000 on a guitar would have all of these things already. It almost devalues the purchase by having a great guitar with cheapo accessories. Maybe I could see some Squier models having it but I'd rather have $50 off the price than basically garbage that breaks in 3 months.

As far as buying used, as long as I can verify the guitar is legitimate, no problems with not having a COA or even the case if buying local. Having the case candy thrown in or not makes no difference.
Yea, its all garbage... but how much would you lose on a re-sale without the case candy?

twisty571

Silver Supporting Member
I would rather have some strings or some decent polish than the crap I get. With Gibson Custom Shop you get nothing, nada. Not even a truss rod wrench. With their 50% cheaper USA models you get a multi-tool, cleaning cloth and a useless strap. A really nasty, gossamer-thin leather strap that stinks of chemicals.

With my Fenders I got a pencil case containing a truss rod wrench.

:rolleyes:
hmm that is crazy, do you get the authentication and pic of it on the bench like non custom shops?

CanuckChris

Then, in the back of my mind, it becomes this ball and chain that I have to drag around forever, so that if I ever sell it I can claim "guitar is like new, including all case candy".
Might be a PITA but I (and I imagine other buyers) do use this as an indicator in the sale. If you managed to hold on to all the case candy for that long, it's often an indicator that you've probably taken decent care of the guitar too.

Same reason why I have all the boxes and documentation for my pedals, aftermarket pickups, etc.

joec63

A lot of you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today . Spending $$ on guitars and concerned about the chotskies in the case for a few pennies. Got it :cool:

Trending Topics