Case for LP Special...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sqadan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sqadan

sqadan Member

Who (besides Gibson / TKL - overpriced!!!!) makes a case that fits a Les Paul Special or Junior properly without having to prop up the body with T-shirts etc...

I just aquired a 90's Special and it came with a bag, but I don't keep my guitars in bags (anal I guess) sooooo....

Anyone know where I can find one?? So far it looks like only TKL makes one - anybody else? Anybody got a used one they want to part with? :D

2. greuvin

greuvin Member

90's Specials came with a gigbag for a reason. The standard LP case is a bit too deep in the body section and allows the neck to protrude at the headstock. Sadly, I've seen quite a few of these axes broken in shipment due to the "protection" of the hardshell case.

Those cheap chinese cases seem to fit. The Gibson Historic cases are perfect because they designed the padding correctly, but, as you mentioned, they are kind of expensive.

3. sqadan

sqadan Member

Yeah... I was offered a LP Protector case with this particular piece, but turned it down due to the above mentioned issue... They just don't fit in standard LP cases.

4. greuvin

greuvin Member

Doh!!! The plastic Protector case (for whatever reason) works very well for the Special. I forgot about that option. I was originally referring to the regular brown Gibby case with purple veil.

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

i just scored a brand new (still in plastic bag) les paul hard case with keys for $50 off of craigslist. the dude bought it for a epiphone les paul not knowing that the epi wont fit due to its longer headstock.

keep your eyes peeled on craigslist.

6. sqadan

sqadan Member

Oh well...

Too late!!!! well... I'll keep my eye out then for one of those... They too are pricey though.

7. sqadan

sqadan Member

In case anyone else is interested...

I found out that the best case for LP Jrs and Specials is the TKL-8824. First Quality Music stocks this case although it is not listed on the website - you can call them and they will let you order it by phone. The case is more or less just like the Gibson cases but they only charge $102.00 for it. http://www.firstqualitymusic.com

8. SFK

SFK Member

9. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I scored a used one for $80 for my Special.

[​IMG]

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I keep my 97 Special in a case identical to Fuzzface's. Fits perfectly.

I bought a LP case for my Melody Maker, and I have to do the t-shirt prop up on that one. It's because the MM's neck isn't angled as much as a Les Paul's. I have to make the body level.

11. bmenary

bmenary Member

I'm with SWK I just bough a TKL 8824 from the same place and it fits my 59 Special perfectly- I also found that 90's HAMER cases (Which are TKL) fit perfectly as well-

12. sqadan

sqadan Member

SFK... Didn't your historic come with a properly fitting case? If gibson is shipping these in poorly fitting cases for the price they are charging... SHAME ON THEM! :NUTS