case or stand

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ericprsse, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

how bad, if at all, is it that I leave my guitars out on stands rather than putting them to bed in cases? I live in montreal, so temperature and humidity changes are all over the place, yet I have not had any problems to date. I haven't had any of my guitars for more than 3.5 years though, and I'm wondering if this is going to hurt me in the long run.

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

I live in NJ, so it's hot and humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. We do not have central air.

I leave one guitar out on a stand, and it's something robust like my Tele. The acoustics and semi-hollows can't take the extreme changes. They stay in their cases with (de)humidifiers as the seasons warrant.

Electrics can handle more than acoustics, but you could still have issues like inlay and binding problems. I think it all depends on the guitar.

GAD

3. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

My guitar tech has told me that it is always good to keep guitars in their case.

4. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

I live in Ottawa and have he same humidity problems. My house goes from 20% in the winter to very high in the summer. I also keep all guitars except one relatively inexpensive solid body in their cases and put humidifiers in them during the winter.