Castles Made of Sand/Axis bold as love (help)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Mooncusser, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out on Hendrix's Castles Made of Sand?
    I have the tab, but it seems there is a technique to adopt while playing this song.
    The same goes for AxIS bold as love, which I am working on as well.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Take care,
    Mass

2. gennation

gennation Member

I did a tab of parts of Axis a while ago. It's just a hand written sketch. I'll find it. If no one comes up with Castles I can probably do a quicky of that too.

I would think there would be a bunch of tab stuff on the Net for those tunes though.

3. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

well there a several of them, but the one I think you are refering to is his use of the thumb while playing chords. He does this so he can play lead type rhythem chords which is what he does a lot in both of those songs. Not sure if this helps, but wanted to throw it out there.

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thank you guys........
    Yeah, TONS of tab on the web.
    I am going with the Andy Aldort Tab, I like his work.
    These songs are a little complex, and I am trying to get the meat of it down, and then I can work on the more intracate fillers.
    This is how I usually do it. I cannot read music. I can read tab, but everyone seems to have different tnotation guides, so that's why I try to get the structure down first, then move on when I'm comfortable in doing so.
    Thanks again, and take care.
    Mass
    PS: gennation, I think I saw your hand written AXIS post and it helped me alot. If you have time, I would love to see your Castles Made of Sand version.
    Only if it is no trouble for you though.
    Peace..........

5. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Andy Aldort is the best transcriber there is. Especially when it comes to Hendrix. He's a Jimi Freak

6. retro

retro Member

Agreed if you have Andy's tab then you are gold!!!

Do you have Andy and Velvet Turner's Experience DVD Mass?

Answer's a lot of technique type questions very quickly IMO.

But what technique are you having trouble with exactly?

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I do have the velvert turner/aledort VHS.
    Maybe it's just a matter of time..
    The technique I am trying to nail is the way Hendrix seems to play the foundation rythym, and then he seems to impliment alot of dynamic individual accents. Like in little wing, you can follow the chording, but when you listen to it and play with it you have to be aware of the subtle and potenet accents. I learned it first by way of the chord foundation, and you will get the main frame melody, but I had to sit a listen to the song piece by piece to pick up on the lead nuances of the song. I find that AXIS and Castles have a more intracate version of this method...if that makes any sence.
    Thanks for you help!
    Take care,
    Mass

8. bstranathan

bstranathan Member

i'm going to be studying with Andy Aledort in the fall. :dude

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Wow, man................

Where are you going to be studying with him?
    Quite an honor there!
    Take care,
    Mass

10. retro

retro Member

On top of the way Jimi embellished chord forms, his sense of timing is also at times very FOREIGN to my natural tendency. A lot of effort went into certain things for it to become rote and playable for me.

Listening to Jimi always felt extremely natural..but trying to play it was like learning to play all over again.

So for me at least, I would agree and say it's just a matter of time.

Congrats on the hook up with Andy...

I often check his forum out too...

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I think you pretty much nailed it right there,retro.
    Exact same thing for me. In fact, I have listened to him for so many years now that not only is the sound natural, but alot of times having everything come together feels natural as well, but like you said, it is much like learning to play in another manner.
    Peace,
    Mass

12. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I take each one of the techniques you mentioned, and work on them one by one slowly. A little bit at a time with each.
    I can tell you know your player, because for some time now I have learned the solos or tried to, note for note.
    I thought if I did this, then I could twist my own technique on top of it.
    I am trying very hard to find my way with it. I am dedicated and adamant on studying him.
    Not to play exactly like him.......
    But because i have loved as a kid, i love his style as an adult and learing in his style gives me some form of an inner peace or relaxation and inspiration.
    So far, I haven't strayed from his style yet, and I have learned a great deal of his work through millions of repititious hours..all of them enjoyable.
    But any help or opinions are most welcome!
    Take care,
    Mass

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Yeah, It still floors me every time.
    Good luck to you,
    Mass

14. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Maybe you already have it, but theres an Andy Aledort book which features both of these songs. He plays them at full speed, then half speed. Also has Red House, Voodoo Chile etc :AOK

Castles Made Of Sand is just a beautiful song, and one of my all time favourites. Imagine the first time he pulled that one out at rehearsal? :)

15. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Beautiful it sure is. They really are terrific training materials.
    I have that sig. licks Andy Aledort w/ CD included tab book, and the Velvert Turner /Aldort VHS double set guitar lessons.
    I just need more time now to actually play.
    I feel like Linus sneeking off with his blanket with my books, tapes and cd's in arm..lol!
    Wish me luck, I put my whole heart into it every day.
    Take care and all the best,
    Mass

16. ronin32

ronin32 Member

:drool soooo lucky!

17. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

As others have stated, playing Jimi is a lot harder than it at first seems it should be. In addition to all of the good advice being offered here about transcriptions, etc., I would say use your ears. When I was learning Axis, it took me a week of really listening, without even having a guitar in hand. Over and over until I could hear all of the guitar parts in my head, then starting slowly with the Hal Leonard transcriptions. Don't always assume that the transcriptions are right. Take it phrase by phrase, section by section. As said, and you already know, a lot of Jimi is about feel. Really good players still struggle with getting the right vibe when playing his music. He was one of a kind, but it sure is a great learning experience working through some of his stuff. Axis is by far my favorite Hendrix album. Just stellar rhythm playing.

Good luck-

Steve

18. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Sampleinajar,

Man, I couldn't agree more with you, and to tell you the truth, that is what has got me as far as I am, being that I don't read music and even have trouble with tabs sometimes.
    I have been listening to hendrix for some 32 years..religiously.
    Take care,
    Mass

19. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Mass,

I have the same book and it's sounds that our skill levels are somewhat similar. What confused me about Castle, Bold as, Little Wing, etc was that all these random notes seemed to jump out of nowhere and have no pattern.

I finally learned little wing (intro) by playing the underlying chords first without all the nuances and it allowed me to see what he doing. Before doing that it was all from memorization and it was frustrating to say the least, especially b/c he doesn't play the same thing twice.

Try playing just the chords and then slowly infuse the lead. At least this works for me.

20. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

lgehrig4,

When I read your reply it was so fimiliar it was almost spooky.
    I play in that same manner, and I am now employing that same techinque.
    Shoot me a reply and let me know how things are comming with your work.
    Best regards,
    Mass