CAT5 cable suggestion PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by twilt, Jan 23, 2015.

1. twilt

twilt Member

im tired of the kinked/cheap plastic factory CAT5 cable that came with the Control 2 pedal for my GSP1101.

I know there are makers out there who make nice "heavy" cables that will lay flat on the stage and wont kink or twist up like these cheap plastic ones, I just dont remember who they are or how to contact them.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Troy

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Awesome tool for cables... bookmark it.
    >>> http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/cables/finder.php <<<

The ProCo Anti Snag cables probably fit the bill best...
    >>>http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC25B<<<

Also with these non coaxial, multi-conductor cables... it is important to roll them correctly they are way more prone to the cores twisting inside the jacket and never laying flat again. I'm not being a smart ass either... I'm a pain in the ass with my band about cables. My drummer's cables (He owns our main PA) have been put away by folding them end to end repeatedly and tied in a knot... they don't lay flat for ****. They can't even be rolled properly. My own cables are rolled like below... they store nicely they lay flat when out... and I'm a beast when it comes time to roll them up too. I can put away 4 cables for every one that the rest of my band can. My band mates can't seem to figure this rolling method (That most good sound companies use).

http://theproaudiofiles.com/how-to-roll-and-wrap-microphone-cable/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

4. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Ditto.

I use a cheap CAT-5 cable from monoprice and roll it right. It sits flat on the floor at every gig. I have one main cable and one backup that stays in my truck, I've been using the #1 for a couple/few years now. The backup is still in it's packaging.

5. twilt

twilt Member

I like the idea of those rt angle ones!
    But...are the CAT5e or CAT 6 cables compatible with the GSP1101 & Control 2.

The factory cable is a regular CAT5....and I certainly dont want to fry my gear.

Thanks.
    Troy

6. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

No problem, as long as it is not a specified crossover cable. Then it may not work. Standard Cat5 is straight thru. The plenum cable has a stiffer sheath and would not be a good choice. Also, stranded is more flexible than solid core.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

The better specs are for longer distances or faster transfers (6a for 10GbE) ... but they are built better for that. Sure won't hurt as long as it's not a cheap company making bad ends.

8. jaime136

jaime136 Supporting Member

Maybe something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VDI

25' and regular Cat5. Although it has XLR ends protecting the connector, I don't know if the Digitech can accept that or not. Works great with a T.C. Electronic G-system controller.

9. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Ethercon cables won't work with the GSP/Control 2. They don't handle the locking metal jacket.

10. the recluse

the recluse Member

I'm interested in this as well. A while ago, someone posted some ethernet cables that had a woven outer casing and really heavy duty strain relief on the ends. I've been trying to track them down to no avail. Anyone know where those were from?

11. twilt

twilt Member

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Any ideas folks???

12. jayson

jayson Member

13. the recluse

the recluse Member

14. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

I like to coil mine. They behave well this way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

Interesting. Could you shed some light on the process?

16. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Sure. I took a 15' cat5 cable and wrapped it tightly around a dowel. I used masking tape to hold the two ends onto the dowel. Then I ran a heat gun slowly over the whole thing, rotating the dowel as I went down the cable with the heat gun. Probably did this for about 7-10 minutes, until it was pretty warm to the touch.

While it was still hot I ran water over it, in hopes that it would sort of speed up the 'curing' of it into the shape I wanted. What I ended up with using a 1/4" dowel was a coil about the size of an old fashion telephone cord. It's perfect. I estimate I would be able to walk about 4' away from my pedalboard with this coiled 15' cable.

On my first try I used a microphone stand, like this:

[​IMG]

But that ended up with too loose of a coil. So I repeated the process on the smaller dowel and got the results I wanted. The picture above is of a much shorter ethernet cable, probably an 8' one. I can use that one while sitting and practicing.

When I did the 15' cable, I used most of the length of a 48" dowel.

I also did the same thing to a long headphone cable and a 1/8" audio cable. Works pretty slick!

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

18. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I really appreciate the coiling idea. That way, they'll match nicely with my curly Lava cables. ;-)

Also, Amazon has added a 25' NXG cable. Looks like a slightly different jacket, though.

19. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

A CAT 5 cable with plastic connectors is not CAT 5 rated. The most it can be rated is CAT 3. The interface connectors along with the cable make up the overall rating. Check the EIA spec, you will see.