• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Catalinbread 5f6 + Digitech Polara = Volume boost?

schizo910

Today I plugged my pedalboard in and the blue led-light from the Polara was flashing. I use a Voodoolab Pedalpower2Plus for my power needs. So I switched the powercord with the Flashback next to it. The Flashback stopped and the Polara worked again. So it probably was a faulty powercable. I took it out, put in another cable and it was fine again.

I had rearanged the pedals on my board and as I programmed the looper ( I use a Harley Benton FXL8Pro) I noticed something I have never noticed before. If I use my Clusterfuzz with the Polara, nothing else in de loop, volumes don't change. If I use the Formula 55 with the Polara, again nothing changes. But if I use the Formula 5f6 with the Polara there's a big big volume boost. The Formula 55 and 5f6 are in the same loop. So Polara on + 55 on + 5f6 off = ok. Polara on + 55 off + 5f6 on = Boost? The reverb is always last in line.

Anyone an idea of how this is possible?

schizo910

It does not make a difference... and also the weird thing is that it only does it with the 5f6 and none of my other drives...

juri

That is weird. The Polara is in Bypass mode when trails is off which is why I asked if it made a difference, curious if it was the buffer, which it isn't. It's not abnormal for a slight boost to happen from any pedal but it's weird that it happens in some scenarios but not others.

schizo910

Yeah I know, But I don't think it's the POlara. I think it has to do with the 5f6, I kept fiddling around and noticed the same thing with the delay (A TC-Flashback) after it. Again a volume boost when engaged. And it only occurs with the 5f6 as a drive. Could it be the nature of the pedal, certain frequencies that come out with reverb or delay after it? I find it so strange that I never noticed this before...

I even took the pedals of my board, powered them individually and tried it out. So, other cables, other power and no other power sources or pedals to intervene. Again, the reverb or Delay boosts the volume when the 5f6 is on...

three86

I had problems with polara boosting like that when using with synth. At one point I had several of that style of digitech pedal because they were supposed to work with line input which I needed for synth without reamping. The Nautila did it the worst.

schizo910

I'm starting to think it's the 5f6 in this case. I took 'm from my board again and plugged them in. I think the overal volume of the 5f6 has dropped too, looks like the volume knob had to be set higher to obtain unity gain than previously. As I fiddles with the output plug the volume went up a little and back down again. So I think There's something wrong with the 5f6 :(

I was gonna buy a second one since it's my favorite drive pedal and I want one for low gain and the other with it's gain set higher. Looks like I have to check it out with the 2nd one.

plastic

What I wonder about the Polara: It's true bypass but still splits a mono signal into 2 outs (stereo) when bypassed. How is that possible with true bypass?

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
What I wonder about the Polara: It's true bypass but still splits a mono signal into 2 outs (stereo) when bypassed. How is that possible with true bypass?
One of the many benefits of ditching 3PDT switches and going with a soft-switch is that it opens up alternate switching schema.

schizo910

It's not the 5f6 output either. Using it on it's own and there are no problems.
It must be a buffer or impedance thing. Again, Using the 5f6 straight into the Polara causes a volume boost. I use a Harley Benton FXL8Pro switcher. It's a True Bypass switcher. The 8 loops are split into two further loops. Loops 1-4 are part of Loop 1 and Loops 5-8 are part of Loop 2. These loops can be used seperatly, loop 1 in front of the amp and loop 2 in the FX loop. But I'm using it straight into a clean amp.
Now; when the Polara is behind the 5F6 in the same loop the problem occurs. But now I switched the 5f6 to loop 1 and everything seems ok. Now I had to make a concession in pedal order, but it seems to be okay now... Still weird. It means something is happening in between Loop1 and 2 but my technical knowledge isn't sufficient enough for that...

plastic

The volume boost only happens when: guitar -> 5F6 -> Polara -> amp?
Also when the Polara is bypassed?

schizo910

No when the Polara is bypassed it's fine. As soon as it's on boost.

Guitar -> 5f6 on -> Polara on -> amp = Boost
Guitar -> 5f6 on -> Polara off -> amp = Fine
Guitar -> 5f6 off -> Polara on -> amp = Fine

Guitar -> FXL8Pro -> 5f6 on in loop 2 -> Polara on in loop 2 -> amp = Boost
Guitar -> FXL8Pro -> 5f6 on in loop 2 -> Polara off in loop 2 -> amp = Fine
Guitar -> FXL8Pro -> 5f6 on in loop 1 -> Polara on in loop 2 -> amp = Fine

Trending Topics

Top Bottom