• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Catalinbread Adineko (new oil can delay)

flantrax

Silver Supporting Member
Based on CB past track record with Delays/Reverbs I'll definitely pick one up...I'm sure they'll come up with something really cool...

northstar6000

OK I will be the one to ask - what is an oil can delay? I am familiar with BBD, tape delay, digital, magnetic drum, etc.

What is an oil can delay?

deadlands

Maybe this will actually sound like an oil can delay.

I'm still waiting for the Watkins Copicat pedal. The real ones sound really good and the preamps can really fatten up tone.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Having had one of those terrible Morley oil can delays, if that's what this is trying to emulate, I can only say...WHY??? It was terrble then, it should be worse now.

Having had one of those terrible Morley oil can delays, if that's what this is trying to emulate, I can only say...WHY??? It was terrble then, it should be worse now.
it will be more expensive! weeeeeeee!

catalinbread makes great stuff, though. im so bored of 50 new delays being released every other day but catalinbread does make cool stuff so im sure itll be useful at least on some level.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
OK I will be the one to ask - what is an oil can delay? I am familiar with BBD, tape delay, digital, magnetic drum, etc.

What is an oil can delay?
From the wiki: An alternative echo system was the so-called "oil-can delay" method, which uses electrostatic rather than electromagnetic recording. Invented by Ray Lubow, the "oil-can" method uses a rotating disc made of anodized aluminium, the surface of which is coated with a suspension of carbon particles. An AC signal is sent to a conductive neoprene "wiper", which transfers the high impedance charge to the disc. As the particles pass by the wiper, they act as thousands of tiny capacitors, holding a small part of the charge. A second wiper reads this representation of the signal, and sends it on to a voltage amplifier, where it is mixed with the original source. To protect the charge held in each capacitor and to lubricate the entire assembly, the disc runs inside a sealed can with enough of a special oil (Union Carbide UCON lb65) to assure that an even coating is applied as it spins.

I love how these sound when they're in reasonably good health!

dbp512

Aw man, I don't want to need another pedal. I really dig CB's stuff, especially their delays. I'll have to check what an oil can is but I'm sure regardless of the morley they're gonna make something really cool

I had the EVO-1 echo volume pedal for awhile and never really bonded with it, but the Morley oilcan wah is one of the most inspirational pieces of gear I've ever used. Color me intrigued.

fuzzfoot

Oil can delays, when in good operating condition, are wonderful. They are nice, soupy echoes! I envision a witch stirring a cauldron of my echoes...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom