Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MilesMitchell, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cool pedalboard. Who makes it?

2. photograft

photograft Member

It’s a Temple Audio pedalboard. I like it because of the modular sidepanels. It has a place to mount an IEC power cable, patch bay, locking input etc. you attach plates to the bottom of your pedals which lets you easily swap pedals by just screwing them with thumb screws instead of Velcro. Only downside is that it limits the precise positioning of your pedals.

Ramblin390, Bluesful and Jim S like this.
  3. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

When I first got mine, I didn't think there was any way that I'd even consider switching to 'trails'. Generally, I want a clean signal going to the amps and I've NEVER really been on "always on" pedal type..
    but what the BED does to the signal is different than any pedal I've ever used... it's like a GREAT buffer or something that actually adds tone also. Pretty sweet trick.. I'm still digging it bigtime.

4. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

Trails mode for me, too. No question. It just makes everything better, at least in terms of what I do. I tend to want a sort of ‘60s sound, and I find that with the BED in trails mode going into my Formula 55 in “red” mode with the gain turned down a bit, I can get exactly what I want from my ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb...

JumpinBradFlash and photograft like this.
  5. Blix

Blix Member

Trails or not doesn't make much of a difference for me, as I never turn the pedal off! :p

Fendrix, blue62, Artie Fisk and 2 others like this.
  6. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

Now that a good deal of time has passed, how is everyone feeling about this vs the El Cap (or your favorite tape echo simulator). Not in terms of which one nails the Echoplex sound (obvious), but which has proven to be the best all rounder and has survived on the board etc...

7. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

BED is the most musical all-around delay I’ve ever encountered. Nothing comes close.

blue62, 68dripedge, XISTH and 2 others like this.
  8. stahlhart

stahlhart Supporting Member

In case anyone cares, the Boss EV-30 expression pedal works perfectly with the Deluxe. Just need to reverse ring and tip on the TRS cable.

9. Kowaj

Kowaj Member

I have found it to be it's own thing.... I have a couple small boards and still use my El Cap, boonar, adineko etc for different things...and while I don't see parting ways with my deluxe, it's not going to be, the be all, end all delay for delay junkies, but its definitely got a unique flavor I can't see anything else filling.....

Srellim1 and ToneIsKing55 like this.
  10. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Or, considering that it emulates 4 different types of delay, plus a couple of special modes, plus very useful expression pedal controls, it very likely could be.

Srellim1 and Tonal Comfort like this.
  11. Kowaj

Kowaj Member

Umm... Ok .... I guess .... If you say so....LOL ... That was just like.... you know... my opinion man....

12. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

An opinion expressed authoritatively on behalf of all delay junkies.

13. Kowaj

Kowaj Member

I can't tell if your joking, or if you really take all this that seriously....but in the event your joking... Thanks for the cache... as my opinions are rarely qualified as authoritative .... Lol

la noise likes this.
  14. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Ive barely scratched the surface on my BED. It’s hard to leave mode 1. Excellent sounding delay(s)!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Srellim1 likes this.
  15. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I feel the same way.

I seriously love mode 3 though.

Artie Fisk likes this.
  16. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

No comparison imho, bed over the el cap in the tape sounds comparison.

17. Srellim1

Srellim1 Member

I agree with that. The El Capistan can come close, but it responds differently. I haven’t felt that I want to sell mine or that it has been replaced so much as it is a different (in some ways similar) thing. I did a ‘tape echo) shoot out the other night between the Belle, El Capistan and Nocturne Mystery Brain (RE-301 simulator) and don’t feel that I want to part with either. Which is gluttony, I suppose.

earwax and Kowaj like this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Strat + BED + Bluesbreaker RI = F*** Yeah.

blue62, XISTH, photograft and 2 others like this.
  19. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

I do, too, along with mode 4. 2 and 5 are second tier, and 6 (the DMM Vibrato mode) I can take or leave...

Bluesful likes this.
  20. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

Question - with the pedal engaged, but the Echo Volume at zero, the dry signal is still running through the preamp, right? OR, do I not get the preamp in the audio path until the first echo?

I also have a Chase Tone Secret Preamp and I'm trying to do some A/B comparisons. First impression is that the Chase offers a bigger volume boost. The BED only seems to boost a tiny bit when turned on (in true bypass mode). I'll do some more tests to see if it's strictly a volume difference, or a tonal difference too.