Catalinbread dilemma, No. 5 or SFT?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ObsessedGuitarist, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I just cannot pull the trigger on one or the other. I have the 5F6 into my sparkly Fender 6L6 Class A and have sold off all of my OD and dirt to make room for more amp emulation pedals. I need the logical step past the 5F6. I play classic rock and blues with assorted guitars. Looking for creamy warmth end of the spectrum. From the youtube vids, it seems like the Formula No. 5 is more musical, but the SFT has more headroom. I do record bass, so that seems to tip the scales to the SFT, but that really is not the priority.

Any thoughts, opinions and/or wisdom welcomed and appreciated.

P.S. If I had room I would probably end up with both, but they both seem to cover similar territory and I only have so much real estate.

2. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I've owned both, and personally prefer the Fn5. It just had the rawness/raggedness that I was looking for. I thought the video by Brett Kingman comparing the two was a pretty accurate portrayal of the differences.

3. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Member

I've owned both and loved both. I prefer the FN5 cuz I liked the rawer sound. The SFT has a more powerful, girthier sound. If it were me, I'd ditch the 5F6 and go with the FN5 and SFT. If you're a volume knob guy, the FN5 has a great clean sound just like a real 5E3 when you roll back the volume. Howard has a great vid demonstrating this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGhoZHGm7KQ

4. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Wow, thanks BAN and ryderuveze. I joined TGP for this whole change in gear thing that I'm going through and there is sure a lot of experienced CB users here. Great feedback. I've spent quite a bit of time listening to Brett Kingman's vids on these, so it is good to here that they are pretty accurate representations. Good to hear that the FN5 cleans up like the real 5E3, since that was one of the things I was wondering about. I have seen Howard's vid on that, but he is such a good player, and who knows what pups he is using. I am a guitar volume knob rider big time and basically why I fell in love with the 5F6.

Super thanks for your inputs. I feel the scales tipping back to the FN5 for about the 30th time in a month. At least I just got my Belle Epoch to play with while I vacillate on these two (yeah, I know, these CBs are becoming kind of addictive).

5. erksin

erksin Member

At the risk of being spammy, my rec would be to add a Karma Suture to stack with the 5F6. It will allow the 5F6 to morph between both of those others you're considering. It's a pretty powerful tone/feel shaper.

6. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Whoa, I have not even looked at the Karma Suture. In fact I know a guy that sold his 5F6 to add a Karma Suture to add to his SFT. This is making my head spin. I'm into old classic rock and blues and gotta say that my concern about the SFT is maybe a tad too modern of a sound for me. I'm writing my own stuff and just getting into recording thinking the tweed sound might be more applicable, but being a big time open G kinda guy, a big influence is that late 60s to early 70s Stones. Dang, just writing this is starting to convince me to get both, but I have to keep my self modded DS-1 for my Mesa Boogie stuff. Hmmm, tuner on the headstock?

Okay, super thanks for that suggestion. I'll look into the KS.

7. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Just to further muddy the waters, I had a Bearfoot tourbox here for a week recently and the Sparkling Yellow Overdrive v3 sounded really good through my clean SF Princeton Reverb. Kind of a Tweed meets BF sound that is variable because you have the thinner SYOD1 and thicker SYOD2 sounds together in one box. It just melded well with the PR, more like an extension of the amp than a pedal, and the breakup seemed natural whether set to almost nothing or to low or medium gain sounds. The key to this pedal seems to be setting the Mids knob to a point where it makes the low mids bloom.

Worth a look.
    http://www.bearfootfx.com/product/sparkling-yellow-od-3/

-bEn r.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. groovemeister

groovemeister Member

i don't wanna confuse you man but i adore the SFT. such a deadly pedal of rock n roll. stones are my fave band though so maybe that's why haha but i use it for anything from chuck berry to creedence.
    i would like to try one of cb's tweed offerings though.....but i'm still deciding what tweed pedal as there are a lot of great options out there..... les louis for tweed twin (another flavour of keefness haha) greer ghetto stomp or the cb offerings... tough one

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  9. JonathanGes

JonathanGes Member

I'm thinking about a No 5 as well.
    Take a look at the Wampler 57' too.

10. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I've never played the SFT, but the no. 5 is my favorite pedal. It can get downright filthy, lots of gain on tap, especially with humbuckers. Even with the gain all the way down, it still distorts. But it's got that great, raw sound for rock and blues.

11. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Thanks for the input, but seems like both pedals are very dear to people and I can sorta see where my future is heading, but for now I only have room for one.

For the record, I spent quite a bit of time last night studying the Karma Suture and it does seem to cover a lot of ground of both pedals and erksin suggested would pair up nicely with my 5F6, but I don't know if I could ever find the same settings twice. It seems amazingly complex and probably over my head. Also, I'm just not into harmonics and really don't play to the KS strengths.

Groovemeister knows how to pull my heart strings about early Stones.

I have had the Tweed '57 in my sights since it first came out, but seems less focused than the FN5 and after getting the 5F6, I know I like a more specific amp emulator.

Anyway, as I thought more about this conundrum, I'm wondering if should just punt and get one of the two and if I don't like it, get the other? This would put me back into that whole TS debacle that I have been involved in for years and trying to avoid, but one of these two ought to do it. I do like the clips of both and I could always use the SFT with bass, but my wife might take it since she is the bass player.

12. erksin

erksin Member

It's actually all in the Density control - pretty simple, but offers a wide range of EQing and picking response. Set all the other controls to you liking and it's really all you need to concentrate on.

FWIW - I'm into these same Stonesy sounds too and all I use for dirt is the KS and 5F6.

13. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

One for the other camp.
    SFT all the way.
    You'd be surprised how often you'll go to that 'Get Your Ya-Yas Out' sound when it's at the stomp of a switch.
    The No.5 is great, but the SFT is freakin' phenomenal!

14. groovemeister

groovemeister Member

amen brother.... i'm surprised more people don't rock that pedal....

15. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I posed this question in parallel on TDPRI and sure enough lots of love for both pedals there too. There are a couple great vids that someone there dug up that gives me the cleaner Tweed sounds that I desire the most. I think the need for tweed is from my blues interest, but because of my Stones/open G stuff this decision makes it difficult. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that with the guitar volume knob, I can go from my 5F6 to Fn5 rather seamlessly (hopefully even stacked), so I'll start there. I know now that the SFT has to be part of my board eventually, but I'll have to wait awhile for that.

So, thanks everyone for your input, opinions and help. The thing I learned the most out of this exercise is how helpful people here at TGP are and how much affection there is for both of these pedals. After my experience with my 5F6 and Belle Epoch, there is no doubt about it, Catalinbread's got there magic going big time.

16. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

You know what would be cool? If Catalinbread did a Special Edition double pedal featuring both the 5F6 and the FN5 in the same box!

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

How about Fn5 and SFT--SFT is so freakin' versatile ... -E

RYAN1987M likes this.
  18. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Supporting Member

I've owned both and unfortunately sold both. I'm a big fan of Catalinbread but my f5 was replaced with a Lovepedal Les Lius. It is not as raw but has what I was looking for in a tweed. Sold the SFT to fund another purchase and wish I hadn't. I prefer it over the f5 cause it's got a wider range.