Catalinbread Echorec Vs. Belle Epoch If I Already Have An Eventide Timefactor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jupiter Tarts, May 18, 2015.

1. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

So I've been in the process of selling a few guitar related things around the house that haven't been getting much play time and dedicating it to building a revamping my pedalboards and have been stuck between two delays. Mind you this, isn't a thread about which is the better one. Just which is the better one for my needs.

Currently I have one pedaltrain jr. filled to the brim with pedals, but I plan on splitting it up into two pedalboards that will be used together, the smaller being the grab and go board and the larger being the at home recording board full of modulation and other crazy effects.

The first thing I'll be doing is buying an Eventide Timefactor for the large at home board. The at home board will be exactly where it says in the name, at home and always in the effects loop of my Mesa. I've watched all the demoes and love the tweakability. Other than the more expensive Strymon Timeline, I can't imagine anything as comprehensive.

The second board will be a small grab and go pedaltrain nano or nano plus. This board will consist of all the pedals designed to hit the front of the amp:1 compressor, a fuzz, an overdrive, and a delay. At home they'll be used together but this is the board I plan on taking out 90% of the time. This is where it comes down to the echorec and the belle epoch

a. Which one does a basic bread and butter delay best? I'm not looking for just weird and cool modulated delays. I have no reverb on the second board so something that I can dial for a sort of reverb and basic delay as well as being able to do its own thing would be ideal.

b. Which preamp and delay play best with distortion? This board is full of drives. Based on the last thread I made, i've heard the belle epoch takes distortion best and sounds a little darker.

c. Perhaps do things that the Eventide can't do, or at the very least, can't cover as well. Does the Timefactor have a weaker echorec or a weaker echoplex? Which one of these would be better as a dedicated separate pedal for a more well rounded setup?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

I have owned the Echorec and the Timefactor and have tested the BE as well. I still use the Timefactor but would love to get another Echorec. The echorec def does a better faux reverb with the dual delay capability, but if you are getting a Timefactor it will also do this and even moreso than the echorec (I use TF for reverb all the time). The BE may be a better "bread and butter" delay, but I do really dig the TF tape setting. If you wanted something different than I would say grab the analog delay from catalinbread. The TF will kind of replicate that, but not quite the same way a regular analog delay works. It will mesh with distortion best because of it's dark character and sound much warmer than anything you can dial in on the TF

3. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Thanks! I guess bullet point warrants its own pedal option and it comes down to which is most important lol. I want to just go out and bring my boards to guitar center to test them out in the chain myself but I just haven't had the time. I've been researching this question for a few days and have been hearing all kinds of things. Some say the echorec can do time based stuff that the timefactor still can't match and I've heard that the Belle epoch's preamp was to die for and will do great things to distortion. Good to hear from someone whose used them all.

If the Timefactor does a good tape delay and can do good echorec rhythm shenanigans well enough, then priority will have to go to what plays well with distortions and does bread and better delay better. I'm definitely leaning towards the echorec now but am very curious about the montavillain. I'll check some demoes out.

4. jojogun1957

jojogun1957 Member

I have a Time Factor but much prefer the BE for vintage tape sounds.

I do not know if my Time Factor has the updated firmware which is supposed to improve the tape delays.

It does have 100 presets,does that mean it has been updated?

Also the preamp on the BE is much more greasy in a good way then TF.