Catalinbread Epoch Pre as front end to modeller/interface

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by speed12, Feb 18, 2020.

1. speed12

speed12 Member

Is anyone out there using a Catalinbread Epoch Pre - or something in a similar vein - as the front end of a modeller or in to an interface?

I use a laptop based rig (lets keep it on topic and not answer with 'don't use a laptop!') and was thinking this might be a nice front end to replace my interfaces preamp to add some colour and niceness. I'm certain it would do the job but lots of comments about it being best at end of chain and in this instance it is technically 'front' of chain - probably wouldn't make an awful lot of difference but thought I'd ask!

Splendid.

2. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I've used an EP Booster clone in front of my modeller (Atomic Amplifier and/or HX Stomp) and it works just fine. In the end I prefer using the EHX Soul Food (klon clone) instead, but that's just a matter of preference.

I think it would work just fine to do what you describe. In fact, now you have me GAS'ing for one... :D

3. speed12

speed12 Member

Ah nice - yeah it was a thought of using an EP booster that lead me down the rabbit hole to the Epoch Pre..... Good to hear that the same principle works well for you.

4. ramuji

ramuji Member

I have a Belle Epoch in front of my HX Stomp. I was using it in combination with an EP Booster for awhile (had the EP first, added the Belle later), but as you can guess that was way too much of a mid-bump. Much, much happier with the tone after removing the EP.

EDIT: I've never bothered to do a proper A/B comparison of the EP and the Belle, but my initial impression when making the switch was that the Belle's coloring is more "subtle" than the EP. The only reason I got the Belle was to save a block and some DSP on the HX Stomp. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be using the EP.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020