• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Catalinbread Galileo Mark I or II

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Do they really sound as different as pro guitarshops videos suggest? Trying to find out if I need to look for a used Mark I.

coltonius

Señor Member
It looks to me like they're different approaches to the Brian May Vox-in-a-box sound.. I guess the final decision should ride on how much size/ versatility can you afford? I'd probably just rock the MKII.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
The Mark I sounds more accurate in the YouTube clips where the Mark 2 is more like an OD pedal that gets about 50% of the way there.

catalinbread

The Mark I sounds more accurate in the YouTube clips where the Mark 2 is more like an OD pedal that gets about 50% of the way there.
Expertise all from watching YouTube, eh?

MKII has a much better feel. It is dialed in such a way a player doesn't have to know much about how to set up an AC30 in order to sound rad. MKI had a stiffer feel. Having the treble boost circuit usable independently was stupid because what were you gonna do, use it into a clean amp?! We don't release new versions of things unless we're confident that we have done an even better job than the one before.

Last edited:

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Expertise form watching YouTube? No offense but when I can't try a discontinued pedal I may ask. I'm going to assume your reply was sarcastic and not insulting, but I know others that wouldn't--and consequently wouldn't purchase.

I don't dislike the clips that PGS has posted but they seem to lack the woodiness of an AC30- granted its a pedal and not an actual amp.

Last edited:

Timmay!

Expertise all from watching YouTube, eh?

MKII has a much better feel. It is dialed in such a way a player doesn't have to know much about how to set up an AC30 in order to sound rad. MKI had a stiffer feel. Having the treble boost circuit usable independently was stupid because what were you gonna do, use it into a clean amp?! We don't release new versions of things unless we're confident that we have done an even better job than the one before.
The independent treble booster wasn't such a bad idea: I often run it through my DLS MKIII, and it also allows the 'tweaked CB30' side to be run on its own or stacked with other boosts/fuzzes for more flexibility. I know that the treble booster side was specially tuned for May tones, but I was slightly surprised that it had less gain than either of my diy treble boosters (silicon May boost & germanium rangemaster clone).

For those interested in May tones, the first Queen album and earlier Smile tracks feature a fuzz that was build into May's guitar.

I can see what you mean about the Galileo MKI feeling stiff though. That's definitely how I would describe it compared with the DLS. Does the Galileo MKII have a more dynamic feel?

Also does the Galileo MKII have more volume than the MKI? I find the available volume on the MKI to be much lower than the DLS MKIII, even at 18 volts. Is that normal? How does the Galileo MKII circuit compare with the DLS MKIII in terms of dynamics, volume and fuzz-stacking?

I don't yet own a Red Special guitar (have been assembling parts to build one), so I haven't been going out of my way to cop May's sound (yet). I just ordered a Sun Lion though and would be interested in a Galileo MKII (or MKIII?) with the ability to deactivate the built-in treble booster, maybe via an internal switch. Or maybe just a Normal Channel in a box to pair with the DLS.

Last edited:

catalinbread

Expertise form watching YouTube? No offense but when I can't try a discontinued pedal I may ask. I'm going to assume your reply was sarcastic and not insulting, but I know others that wouldn't--and consequently wouldn't purchase.

I don't dislike the clips that PGS has posted but they seem to lack the woodiness of an AC30- granted its a pedal and not an actual amp.
The MKII is not discontinued.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
The Mark I is, which is why I asked. Can't very well go demo that. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Generally speaking id love to try both. Part of the reason I was looking for the Mark I info is to see if the treble booster was worth it on its on. I'm not looking to clone May's sound, just to get in the ball park with a strat from time to time.

catalinbread

Generally speaking id love to try both. Part of the reason I was looking for the Mark I info is to see if the treble booster was worth it on its on. I'm not looking to clone May's sound, just to get in the ball park with a strat from time to time.
I always liked the treble booster on the MKI, even if it's inclusion was difficult for users to to wrap their heads around... We had a lot of people ask if we could put the boost after the distortion or complain that the boost cut lowend and isn't "clean". The boost side is essentially a hard coded Naga Viper pedal and can be used independently from the distortion side.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Oh cool. That I didn't know. I can imagine anytime you roll 2 effects into the same enclosure people are going to complain about the order etc.

catalinbread

The Mark I is, which is why I asked. Can't very well go demo that. Apologies for any misunderstanding.
I'm sorry if I came off like a jerk. YouTube has changed the world, it is a shame that they have such poor audio quality. I mean even the volume slider on the bottom of their interface has a poor taper! Now look at me complaining.

Oh cool. That I didn't know. I can imagine anytime you roll 2 effects into the same enclosure people are going to complain about the order etc.
Yep, even when it misses the point! MKI was cool, but for the job I really think it was quite a bit overkill.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
Being a Catalinbread noob, I'll bite through a local dealer. Takes a big company to apologize--this means a lot to me.

dmhi11

Silver Supporting Member
All good points. YouTube is not something I would use as an ultimate judge. Professionally produced videos like PGS are a decent reference to understand the features and rough in an idea of how something sounds though.

As for the rough appearance. I assumed it was mostly in jest. My apologies if I made myself seem really offended. I have a slew of Catalinbread effects on my have-to-try list and just want you to know I have every intention of persuing the Galileo MK. II. If I need a treble booster I can get a Naga Viper too!

mdrake34

I've been saying it for years, but I will own a naga viper.

Also, catalinbread remains my favorite pedal company. Nick, Howard, Erskin, and the rest of th crew are good people.

jawajt

I love my MK I! Although, I use it more as a low gainer than for Brian May tones. I also owned the Naga Viper at one point. With the size restrictions of my board, it's easier to fit the MK I, instead of a CB30 and a Naga on there. Either way, you can't go wrong. But if you have the room and the funds, I'd get the MK II and a Naga. CBread makes fantastic pedals, especially ODs.

Trending Topics