1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Catalinbread Hyper Pak vs. Zvex Box of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Feb 13, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Can they really sound the same? I'm looking for a jtm45 vibe. I loved the MENATONE WMB but it's too expansive. Any reasonable alternative?

2. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

i've played both. main difference is (and both are awesome) the hyper pak will get you there if you're already kinda close with your amp and pedals, it's a great addition to what you have.

the BoR is more of it's own thing, with the tone of the pedal really taking over, making it sound marshall-esque no matter where you started really.

3. erksin

erksin Member

The HyperPak doesn't sound like the BoR IMO (from my foggy memory of the BoR) - it certainly wasn't designed to sound like a JTM45 anyway.

Listen for yourself - I think it has a lot more bottom than a typical Marshall-inspired box:

http://www.catalinbread.com/Hyperpak.html

4. Stratosfear

Stratosfear Supporting Member

TO my ears the Hyperpak wasn't nearly as cool as the BOR, certainly not as flexible. Also, the Hyperpak was very noisy, and surprisingly low in output. Just my two cents.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I'll concede the flexibility part - but the rest isn't normal. Did you contact us about it..?

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I liked the Hyperpak, nice grinding distortion but not like a JTM 45. The BOR is nice as well but its really a two stage booster with tone control. IMHO neither would get you JTM-45 tones.

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

the hyperpak was a little too rambunctious so I modded it with some ritalin and now it's pretty mellow.

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Low output is not a hallmark characteristic of the HyperPak. Recently I actually had to lower the output a bit just because it was too much. All the best!

9. Merelington

Merelington Member

True, its not very flexible but the strong point is its uber silent operation and high output..you wouldn't expect these characteristics out of such a tiny inexpensive pedal. Great job catalinbread!

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I happend to test it this afternoon and it made a strange noise in the back, I believed it was due to the neon lights in the room. But I didn't notice the low output to be honest...

11. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member