Catalinbread Hyperpak

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aquadog, Oct 21, 2008.

1. aquadog

aquadog Member

Anybody play one of these? It looks really promising for my AC30

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

Forgot to add - does it work well with single coils and humbuckers? Is it best into a clean or a dirty amp, or both?

3. erksin

erksin Member

We have a Maz 18 in The Bunker that we test all of our pedals through - I think it sounds pretty good into that amp.

I don't find that it favors one pickup over another.

4. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

I just got one last week and I'm loving it so far. I play it into the clean channel of my Traynor YCV40T and it totally woke it up. Very dynamic. I put a compressor in front of it and the leads really cut through.
    For the price, it's an amazing pedal with gobs of gain.

5. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Im waiting for mine in the mail :) i'll let you know as soon as i have a chance to play with it

6. aquadog

aquadog Member

Get a chance to play it yet?

7. funkycam

funkycam Member

search on this. many threads

8. sa1126

sa1126 Member

I have the one knob version. It has a ton of gain but can really be cleaned up with the volume on your guitar. It is really versatile and works well as a dirty boost. The AC30 seems to like it...in fact it sounds good with all of my amps.

9. pen15

pen15 Member

My Orange likes it....
    [​IMG]

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Nice set up!:RoCkIn

11. pen15

pen15 Member

Thanks man! The hyerpak is a cool lil pedal...its the only dirt pedal i keep at home...cleans up real nice...

12. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

still very impressive after a couple weeks and a few gigs. hiwatt in a box, just like they say. entirely believable gain structure that cleans up amazingly well. it is scary how well this thing cleans up. and it cleans house while it's at it. it especially shines in low volume situations: on a normal gig i usually have my amp about 2/3rds of the way up. in very small rooms (like last night) i can knock the amp down to 1/3 with the hyperpak, min gain max output and work it all from the guitar. it still feels and sounds like my amp at my usual settings but with more hair, at a much lower volume. no diodes are employed, so there's no nasty plink on the front end of notes. no added eq curves/tone controls, no stiff feel, no excessive darkness when turning down. try doing that with a tube screamer. the hyperpak is the Only pedal i've ever played/heard that really delivers on that promise. it is really really impressive, and that from a diehard od pedal hater. i'd still like to knock the min gain down some but other that this is the closest thing to a perfect od pedal i've ever heard. nicholas said no problem knocking the gain down, but i wanted to spend some more time with it first.

the hyperpak is the end of the od road for me. done.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  13. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Dude, after having played it for a couple of weeks I LOVE IT!!!! i use it as a dirty/clean with the gain set at 9 o'clock, that way when i play soft it cleans up and you cant hear any grit, but the moment i start strumming a little harder the grit returns, very transparent and great sounding pedal. I recommend it 100%
    at full gain this thing rocks as well, but this pedal is VERY dynamic.

14. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

yeah, it cleans up like a really great fuzz does. it is really eye opening; i can knock the guitar's volume down to 3 and it is damn near clear as a bell. so i'm rethinking my whole thing and working the guitar ala roy buchanan; he always had his amp pinned and controlled it all from the guitar. it takes a lot of discipline (for me at least) to break away from rhythm8/ solo10 habit but it's a cool way to go with the 'pak. and that's where this thing Really shines. again, the amp's volume is down considerably and the 'pak's output is at 10, gain 0

and being the trem freak i am the valcoder trem is next, a beautiful tone that