Catalinbread lawsuit documents

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EpicEsquire, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Radar

Radar Member

I decided a long time ago I would never buy anything from this company post-scandal. This only reinforces that. :aok

EL34, Cruciform, icedlatte and 10 others like this.
  2. shawnerie

shawnerie Supporting Member

The dirty little secrets are coming out. But yeah, not cool to resort to a lawsuit against your own employees (speaking as an attorney), and even asking for a permanent injunction for the employees never to work in the guitar pedal industry in future! I hope the defendants can employ reasonable means to defend themselves.

mojah, IAO, Primus DuPont and 22 others like this.
  3. Tootone

Tootone Member

See-ree-ous.

Jury Trial sought...

4. 7thString

7thString Member

5. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

I didn't read the whole thing - were the Defendant's bound under some covenant not to compete?

paulitk likes this.
  6. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Someone care to post a trailer on this saga? Not sure I want to watch the whole movie that is in the other thread, especially since Kevin Spacey will probably not be narrating.

8. xcc

xcc Member

It was implied, but I’d be surprised if they weren’t under a non-compete.

9. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

If Catalinbread had been one of my "go to" effects brands this entire affair would be really disappointing/depressing. I'm not talking about the owner passing away, that was tragic, everything since then has just been depressing to read.

Edited to add: One of the charges is "Breach of Fiduciary Duty". Good f'n luck getting that to stick to a pedal company employee. Unless one of them served in a CFO or finance officer role that's gonna get tossed quick.

And so ends PJ's free internet legal advice for today.....

11. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

I know nothing about this so I’m interested to hear more. Having read the complaint, if what is alleged is true, there’s going to be a pretty nasty and drawn out lawsuit.

xrcdan, Ron, hippieboy and 5 others like this.
  12. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I'm not up to date on the company or it's saga. It reads like the founder died, and a few employees conspired to steal the designs and technical info from the company that the clueless mother ran after the founders death...turns out the mother wasn't that clueless.

What am I missing?

Ghast, Tonekat, Sp8ctre and 12 others like this.
  13. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

Interesting read. Mary B really wants to attack on every conceivable level!

Shoegazer47, chillybilly and Wolfboy1 like this.
  14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Not sure why you say this. I've represented both sides in similar situations and this sounds like egregious (mis)conduct by the former employees.

The permanent injunction is typical overkill these days but absent contrary evidence this looks like a rancid stew of treachery by the defendants IMO.

If the pleadings are even close to accurate the defendants deserve a thrashing. I saw horrible behavior on both sides of situations like this. Here, the former employees come off looking particularly bad IMO (let's see their defense).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

So does this change the unwavering support for the employees that were let go or are we still angry at CB?

16. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I don't know what to think. I don't really care anymore. The company has been a joke ever since Nick died. I don't care who's fault it is.

The documents read as if they were written by my paranoid, psychotic great aunt who used to call us collect, then she killed herself by jumping in front of a bus. It's intriguing, but hearsay. Short of a Slack subpoena, where's the evidence of these quotes from the conspirators?

17. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I owned 8 Catalinbread pedals at one point. Howard is the main reason I was drawn to them. I have sold a few, but still like the ones I kept. I can't see myself buying new models, but not because of the Mrs. Burkett, because of the designer being gone.

I read most of it. If true, the plaintiff has a good case against the defendants. The alleged offenses are pretty bad. In the age of computers, getting back all of the intellectual property is nearly impossible.
    I find the remedy a little harsh, however. $200,000 from each defendant seems disproportionate, and points 5 and 6 are over the top:

5. Soliciting or initiating contact with any distributors engaged in the sale or distribution of guitar pedals; and
    6. Owning, managing or being employed by any business engaged in the sale or distribution of guitar pedals

18. Colamander

Colamander Member

Yeah after reading the document, it’s a cesspool. Maybe Mary was an awful person, but if the employees did what is described, they’re going to get fleeced. And I’ll never buy a product from either Catalinbread, or the ‘new’ company these guys start.

19. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

"NOT COOL"? Did you read the statement and understand what the defendants did?

rmg471, onewire, Axe-maniac and 20 others like this.