Catalinbread lawsuit documents

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EpicEsquire, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Would the judge refuse to countenance an employment restriction if the contending parties all agreed to it as part of an overarching settlement, though? (I'd expect not but I don't really know and so if you have some idea, I'd be interested to find out.)

2. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Have you read the terms of the settlement then? Does it include restrictions on business activities for the defendants going forward as you seem to be suggesting?

3. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

I haven’t read nothing. I’m basing this on conjecture, hearsay, 10 minutes of research on TGP while I was on the toilet, and the inflated sense of self importance I feel when I post on this forum.

4. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. JB_SC

JB_SC Gold Supporting Member

For what it's worth, under Oregon law a non-compete clause (related to employment) has a maximum legal term of 18 months: https://www.oregon.gov/boli/TA/Pages/FactSheetsFAQs/Noncompetition.aspx

*Edited to add proviso about employment related non-compete clauses, as opposed to business seller non-compete clauses.

6. a person

a person Member

Wrong

Bobby D, roquero and mdubya like this.
  7. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

I’m really really surprised this thread exists. All this commentary & speculation.

Tabor, 65inside, Andy J. and 2 others like this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, musicians never do that. :cool::YinYang

hippieboy and 5cr33nager like this.
  10. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Ah, a subject matter expert, welcome to the thinktank.

11. tawtaw

tawtaw Member

It will be interesting to hear more. It might have been the language used, but I didn't find the charges or the evidence to be particularly believable.

mister_finch and a person like this.
  12. a person

a person Member

Exactly.

13. slapback delay

slapback delay Member

Guys let's keep quiet so this things still going to be up. I want to know how this turns out lol

Tabor likes this.
  14. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

mdubya likes this.
  15. handyman

handyman Member

The parties obviously came to a settlement, but we'll obviously never know what the terms are. Its obviously fun to speculate.

If the lawyers on both sides are at least semi-competent there would be a non-disparagement clause in place for everyone. I don't think dragging everyone involved through the mud helped anyone.

tawtaw likes this.
  16. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

This does not mean the parties settled, at least judicially. It just means that the plaintiff has requested a dismissal of the case, instead of the court dismissing the case. It has to be signed by all parties because motions in the case have already been answered....essentially, because the case has gotten far enough along, both parties had to sign the dismissal. It would prevent any counter claims by the defendant unless those claims can stand on their own merit.

They may have come to some agreement, but it is also likely that the plaintiffs weren't getting anywhere with their case, it was costing them too much, or whatever possible excuse. Given that some previous activity in the case included the court granting protective orders to defendants, which would require some evidence that the plaintiff was harassing defendant(s), I seriously doubt the parties came to an agreement. The recent Pacer filings would help paint a clearer picture, but I'm too cheap to pay for them.

stanshall, a person and tawtaw like this.
  17. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Settlement or not, both parties effectively lost. Howard got knocked out of the pedal game for two years and likely incurred tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. Catalinbread suffered a big hit to their reputation, lost their core creative team and wasted time in court while their organization floundered internally. All for nothing.

18. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I have been in a horrible mood the last week. That just changed. :)

HOWARD G, SETTING THE SOUND FREE

19. JB_SC

JB_SC Gold Supporting Member

Here are links to documents -

Order on Defendants' Motion to Dismiss (it was granted in part, which may have led to the dismissal of the rest of the case): https://ufile.io/4n6dsecm

Protective Order (regarding disclosure of discovery): https://ufile.io/i4zba7xq

Voluntary Dismissal (no real content, this is a procedural document): https://ufile.io/6et4zqn0

**PLEASE NOTE: These files will only be hosted by the file storage provider for 30 days - until November 11, 2019.

gossard likes this.
  20. soma

soma Member

FROM THE HARD DRIVES HE MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE TRIED TO WIPE BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW