Catalinbread Many Worlds Phaser

TheReplicant

webs

Silver Supporting Member
Demos sound good. I think they missed an opportunity to have the LFO speed or depth altered by envelope. That's a killer function and it's disappointing they've got two envelope modes but no LFO envelope. Mix control is a smart addition but it doesn't seem to go full wet?? (edit: looks like it does, sorry for misinfo) Eight stages is cool, and a nice departure from the more common 2/4/6.

At the same price and with the same footprint, the Subdecay Quasar v4 has a lot of feature overlap including a bunch of exotic, useful options the Catalinbread lacks - full wet mode, tremolo, LFO envelope, etc. Unless you prefer an 8 stager to the Subdecay's 4 it's probably the better pick.

No complaints about the artwork.

Last edited:

seiko

Demos sound good. I think they missed an opportunity to have the LFO speed or depth altered by envelope. That's a killer function and it's disappointing they've got two envelope modes but no LFO envelope. Mix control is a smart addition but it doesn't seem to go full wet?? Eight stages is cool, and a nice departure from the more common 2/4/6.

At the same price and with the same footprint, the Subdecay Quasar v4 has a lot of feature overlap including a bunch of exotic, useful options the Catalinbread lacks - full wet mode, tremolo, LFO envelope, etc. Unless you prefer an 8 stager to the Subdecay's 4 it's probably the better pick.

The Fender Lost Highway offers envelope control of the LFO and 8 stages, far less shapes though.

Seriously, my main concern with any new modulation is will it match unity volume of the straight signal. No demoers will ever highlight that, of course!

Oh, and does the CBread not offer full wet mix?

webs

Silver Supporting Member
The Fender Lost Highway offers envelope control of the LFO and 8 stages, far less shapes though.

Seriously, my main concern with any new modulation is will it match unity volume of the straight signal. No demoers will ever highlight that, of course!

Oh, and does the CBread not offer full wet mix?
The Duncan Polaron is only $30 more and has a zillion stage options. The Empress phaser is my favorite phaser ever and is $210 at MF right now - if you can live with 2/3/4 stages I think it's as good as it gets. For style points a Wombtone plus a Copilotfx Autodialer would compete (and goes to 6 stages) but that's stupid money these days.

The Hermans demo didn't sound full wet to me when the mix was at full. Phase based vibrato is a pet favorite of mine so that's a bit disappointing. Maybe I misheard or the knob wasn't all the way maxed. The manual is no help on the matter.

Teleportation

another envelope phaser fan - the EHX stereo polyphase is neat, but
a bit on the large side, uses a non-standard power supply and the phase shift is a bit limited

The plus is the min/max and gain (acts as sens) is a nice implementation allowing for sort of hard limits and then sens within that

But the attack/decay is just a simple switch (I assume The EF section is the same as the riddle, etc but from what they told me one time, there just wasn't enough popularity to update the polyphase)

Im not in love with the Many Worlds art...not really b/c I don't like the aesthetic, it's the utility - for me these things are devices so just clean, low-visual-noise (I don't have the best eyesight anyway) labels are best for me.

seiko

The Duncan Polaron is only $30 more and has a zillion stage options. The Empress phaser is my favorite phaser ever and is $210 at MF right now - if you can live with 2/3/4 stages I think it's as good as it gets. For style points a Wombtone plus a Copilotfx Autodialer would compete (and goes to 6 stages) but that's stupid money these days.

The Hermans demo didn't sound full wet to me when the mix was at full. Phase based vibrato is a pet favorite of mine so that's a bit disappointing. Maybe I misheard or the knob wasn't all the way maxed. The manual is no help on the matter.
Interesting, yeah, full-wet phaser is good for getting a take on MBV-esque sounds, for starters

Doezulu

It goes full wet.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I love phasers, but honestly, this one doesn't do anything for me.

I am a phaser fan too, and I reallly, really don't like this pedal at all. The art makes it worse too.

But the guy playing the guitar is really killer.

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
Im a huge catalinbread fan i love their pedals.

Ive hated their new artwork design. This art is actually the best one of the new designs. But still, i miss their old pedal aesthetics.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Not really jiving with this one. Either sounds chonky, Waylony, or filtery. Which is cool and all, but I'm more into the MXR and Maestro tonez.

And before you ask - Waylony.....like Waylon Jennings. JEESH!

Thorsday

Demos sound good. I think they missed an opportunity to have the LFO speed or depth altered by envelope. That's a killer function and it's disappointing they've got two envelope modes but no LFO envelope. Mix control is a smart addition but it doesn't seem to go full wet?? (edit: looks like it does, sorry for misinfo) Eight stages is cool, and a nice departure from the more common 2/4/6.

WMD ProtoStar slays this.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom