Catalinbread pedals-- Elfin Magic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Jul 13, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I've been checking out the Pro Guitar Shop demos on U-Tube lately, and I can't help but laugh when I watch the Catalinbread demos. The pedals already look small, but when you see the hand (and "the finger") come into the picture, it looks like he's suffering from elephantitis! It's really funny. How do you step on those things without flipping them over or hitting the knobs? I didn't realize the Keebler elves were musicians. People in the U.K. must have some small-ass feet. I'm a size 12, and if I stepped on one of those things, I'd probably twist and sprain my ankle.

BTW, I really do love the sound of the Catalinbread stuff; don't get me wrong. I just think it's funny how small they are. They're rather cute, actually (In a cool sort of way).

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

thats why they had to start making "american edition" versions! so funny. I did get the AE Silver Kiss though, kinda wondering why I didn't just go with the smaller footprint. I really don't even know why I did it. I think I liked the big graphics better. Sigh.

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

That's the weird thing about it. If I buy one, I would want the small one because I actually dig the way they look, even though I have no idea how I would use the footswitch. I guess it would be fine if you bolted the thing down somehow. I don't know if velcro would quite cut it with these.

4. erksin

erksin Member

He's talking about the Bantam Box models.

They were originally designed for players who had limited space on their pedalboards, hence the size.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Velcro works just fine.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Our standard sized pedals are just that - standard, like any MXR box. A few of the American Edition pedals benefit from the larger format (like the Teaser Stallion - we could move the internal trimmer to a dedicated control with the larger box), others sometimes just prefer a larger box.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I apologize if I sound like I'm knocking them. I'm not trying to at all. I really like the sound of a bunch of them. I love the Varioboost and the V8 Fuzz. And you can't beat the prices. You're not just doing the clone thing either.
    But how on earth do you fit everything in such a small enclosure? It must be like trying to fit a power amp in a pill box. It looks like you could flip the top open and throw 20 or 30 Advil inside.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

well im currently bidding on a serrano picoso on ebay too so i guess i'll have both ends of the spectrum. :banana

with the AE silver kiss though it looks to be about the same size as a red witch/frantone/etc enclosure, that about right? i love the mxr size boxes but these really aren't bad either.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, same size as those other guys.

10. erksin

erksin Member

We use a shoehorn, a tub of Crisco, and a running start. :p

No offense taken! :BEER

11. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

So many one-liners about "size" are coming to mind reading this thread...

12. erksin

erksin Member

It's not the size of the wand, but the magic within that matters. :banana

13. tonio19

tonio19 Member

I have a 5 loop effect switcher (strip) with tuner out made by Loop-Master. And this is velcroed down to my Trailer Trash board right at the bottom, so I rarely have to do "The Dance" with smaller (or any for that matter) pedals.
    Of course if that just won't work for you, you could try this: Go to the wrecking yard and look for a couple of headlight dimmer switches off of say a 55 chevy, and attach them to you miniature buttons on your elfin pedal, and you will be all set with those size 12's.
    Happy stomping, gental giant.

14. dawgtired

dawgtired Member

just bought the semaphore...AMAZING PEDAL! any plans on a chorus or phaser?

15. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

He uses some magic dust. "A little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Clause, a little bit more for Santa Claus,"

Fairy dust doesn't come cheap these days. And Alice doesn't live here anymore.

16. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Nothing works fine too. Thats how I keep bantams on my pedal board and the cables keep 'em in place.

17. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

When I got my Valcoder I knew that it came in the bantam box but I was really taken aback by how small it was in person. Once I started playing however I never gave it a second though because the Valcoder is such a kicka$$ tremolo pedal. And I will vouch for velcro on the bantam boxes. I am not having any issues at all.

18. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Just to show you how they look " in context " , I'll post a shot of my board below. No, I'm not just showing my board off :) .

Because , of the small size I'm able to fit the catalinbread clean boost on my board.

I have it velcroed on the top tier of my Pedaltrain, and it is rock solid....plent of room to step, i never hit the knob inadvertantly,It doesn't move around or wiggle........

those small bantam boxes are a godsend for crowded pedal boards...

the valcoder trem is next on my list, to use at some gigs on a pedal train JR with a few other select effects.

[​IMG]

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My one knob SCP is so tiny and cute, yet it's the biggest sounding pedal on my board.

Man I miss it. I've sent it in to Catalinbread for a tuneup, hope to get it back soon!

20. sandman

sandman Member

tuneup as in a lil fix or modification? :eek: