Catalinbread SCOD Review...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G'OlPeachPhan, Nov 16, 2005.

1. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Really digging this pedal. It's my favorite dirt pedal out of any on an enormously long list of pedals that I've owned. I could honestly be perfectly happy with this as my one and only dirt pedal. It's absolutely perfect for the pedal distortion tones I was seeking.

For a more in-depth review, click here.

2. what?

what? Member

I am really interested in thge SCOD...is it really like the RAT?I've got a keeley RAT and love it, but I sometimes wish for it be more natural...a bit too hairy...

3. hide

hide Member

i'm seriously gassing for a SCOD, but it seems like it hasn't reach my country here

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

There are some similarities to the RAT in that it's a distortion... The SCOD can be dialed in to sound pretty similar to a RAT, but there are many more sounds possible with the SCOD, and it always sounds more natural and musical to my ears at pretty much any setting. It's far more versatile, easier to get a great sound (I always had a tough time find the balance between too harsh and too muffled with my RAT), more dynamic, and doesn't squish your tone as much as the RAT's I've experienced. I'd say a RAT user could easily get very comfortable with the SCOD, but so could those who don't dig what the RAT does. Granted, the SCOD won't be for everyone - I'm not trying to say it would be... but I think it's great at what it does. It doesn't try to sound like or copy any other pedal, and has a fantastic tone all it's own... It's musical and warm, but still cuts well. It can be dialed in for a very thick sound, a somewhat leaner, more cutting tone, or somewhere in between (which is where I like to set it up). Great for both leads and rythym, especially if you adjust your guitar volume to get the most out of it. I had no problem getting it to mate well with my existing amp settings.

5. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Awesome pedal. I got it for Kyuss-type tones, and it does a great job.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Jeesh,

I've been eyeing the SCOD for a little time now. I thought I wouldn't need something like that but my vintage RAT has been of my board for a while now and I'm really beginning to miss it. I've used it mostly as a lead boost with the gain rarely past 9 o'clock. Sounded awesome, but the thing is massive and has no LED. I also dig the idea that the SCOD could be a little more versatile. I think I need one...

B.T.W. It also looks great!:dude

7. seanc

seanc Member

WOOOHOOO!! another perth boy on the boards. where in perth bro?

i really want to get all the catalinbread pedals exept the stallion. dont like or need feedback.

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Hide, this HCFX Hide? Aren't you in Japan?

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

Are there good sound clips somewhere? All the ones at www.catalinbread.com are done with contour at 10! Not bad, but doesn't show a sound I want with those samples.

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

The best clip I've heard of what the SCOD can do was a clip from StoneyStomp... Even though that clip was pretty darn good, I have yet to hear a clip that REALLY captures what this pedal sounds like in person. I think part of that is because it's really a pretty versatile device, and it responds dynamically to different players/amps/guitars... not exactly your typical blanket distortion pedal in other words, and that makes it hard to capture what it might do for you and your rig on a clip... Not trying to hype it, that's just really been my experience. I think StoneyStomp had a similar experience with it, and I bought one on his recommendation. My holy grail distortion - Great pedal!

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

Hey, you WA players!!!! I was in Perth in Nov. 2004. I really loved it there, 6 weeks was hardly enough time to enjoy the place. If I didn't have a wife and kid back in the USA, I would do whatever I could to move there for a while... :AOK

Oh yeah, I've been itching to try out a SCOD ever since I tried their SCP boost. I have gas for both the Sagrado Poblano Picoso and the SCOD actually....

12. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

you guys and gals make me smile. Thanks!

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Dont gas for the Sagrado Poblano Picoso, JUST GET IT!!!! It is very fat boost.