Catalinbread Serrano Picoso for kicking Hyperpak into singing lead?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all! Does anybody here have experience on both Catalinbread Hyperpak and Serrano Picoso mini pedals?

I use the Hyperpak (or plan to use when I get it) to push an already quite overdriven Marshall into a hard rocking, ballsy rhythm tone with plenty of distortion. Now I need a powerful pedal to push the Hyperpak so that I get a singing, midrangey and punchy lead tone. I was wondering if the Serrano Picoso could do the trick?

How much grit/overdrive does it have on tap or is it mainly a clean boost? Are there any prevalent peaks in the sound frequencies of the Serrano (bass, mid, highs)?

Cheers,
    MIKE

2. erksin

erksin Member

Hey Mike -

The Serrano is basically clean until the last 10-15% of the volume knob - at that point you're getting around 30dB of boost so anything after it is probably going to distort. No freqs are emphasized - its a straight up clean booster.

I haven't tried stacking them - if there are any around the shop I can try it tomorrow and let you know how it sounds.

The HyperPak is super dynamic all on its own - you could just roll back your guitars volume knob for rhythm and dime it for leads, too...

Mike

3. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

erksin,

it would be great if you could try out the combo, thanks! :AOK Lemme know if you get around to it.

4. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Me too, Erksin! :p

5. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'd guess the Serrano into the Hyper Pak would be a bit too bright. If you want extra chunk and mid range....Varioboost Pro ! :BEER

6. erksin

erksin Member

Can I ask why? The Serrano doesn't have that top end zing that a lot of clean boosters have...