catalinbread sft or durham zia? which is better for stones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rouss, Feb 16, 2012.

1. rouss

rouss Member

Ok I have the sft .Ita a great pedal for ampeg type overdrive but the bottom gets a lil frizzy and muddy. Like on midnight rambler it frizzis on me. Does the zia have a tighter bass. Its advertized that way. Like to have an idea before I spend 200 on a dirt box

2. rouss

rouss Member

anybody try both and compare:huh

3. charless

charless Member

I only tried the Durham Zia in a store and its really really great sounding. Very tight OD and has nice mids. I think you can get that Stones sound but also it should work for any great rhythm crunch playing.

4. coot tone

coot tone Member

I've had both, along with a lot of other Stonesy overdrives, including the Les Lius. The clear winner to me is the brown channel of the Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive. The Les Lius comes in second, especially with darker voiced amps, but the BAMO wins over the others, hands down. I never particularly got along with the SFT and while I liked the Zia for a while, it ultimately got fizzy in the high end, too. Love the Blackstone.

5. rouss

rouss Member

yes the sft does get fizzy in the high end and the bass is a lil fizzy to (not in a good way. I judge the pedalson how well they do the mail riff to midnight rambler ( the A E shuffle and the d cord pull off)

6. erksin

erksin Member

Have you tried backing off both tone controls? They're pretty powerful.

Also how high are your pickups set?

7. rouss

rouss Member

yes I have. Don't get me wrong .THIS PEDAL IS A KEEPER. I have no use for the tube screamer anymore(which is a cool overdrive).but,Im having a hard time reproducing a similar sound to the one on burggs famous demo. I actually havn't found any pedal that can really do midnight rambler to well under 30 watt amp and cranked.

8. erksin

erksin Member

The output and height adjustment of your pickups is pretty crucial to the bass response because the SFT has a pretty sensitive input by design - if you're using a hot humbucker or just have your pickups set too high it'll definitely behave like you're describing. If you lay back on your pick attack does it tighten up for you?

9. rouss

rouss Member

I play 2 guitars . epiphone sg and a tele. I believe these are both stock or the way they came. Pickups on the tele are actually noiseless ones. By the way there is a lot of action on both guitars . My strings are set extraordinarily hi compared to what mos would set