Catalinbread SFT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CharlieK, Dec 25, 2009.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Just got this for Christmas. This thing sounds amazing. I've only had a chance to briefly run my LP and LP Jr. through it. Into my DRRI, it's incredible, even at lower volumes.

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

nice, i'm really interested in this pedal.

does it give a fender amp more of a vox chime and breakup? how would you describe the sound?

3. erksin

erksin Member

Ampeg - not Vox. ;)

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

okay, thanks. :) still very interested. :rockin

5. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

i'm waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow, i can't believe that i'm actually getting what i asked for this year....:banana

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Broke down and ordered mine from Tonefactor before they sold out. I'm excited to hear if it can replace my Toadworks Death Rattle Tweed channel and/or my Death by Audio Interstellar Overdriver as my touch sensitive Faces/Stonesy cranked small amp sound.

If it does, the dirt section of my board is complete. It'll sit nicely next to my WIIO, and if its half as good, won't lose that spot.

Plus it sounds like it can do amazing highgain from what BobbyD's demo showed... I mean from Keith to Nugent is pretty versatile.

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's one of my favorite ODs. I'm thinking of rearranging my whole board around it.

8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Man, I'm really wanting one of these. In an odd twist of Catalinbread fate, think I'm gonna sell my DLS to fund one. The DLS is awesome, but I've got Marshall terrain well covered with a BJFE DRD.

How close is the SFT to a Honeybee? I know they do lots of different things, but I think they both do gritty rhythm very well.

I'm considering carving out a space on a PT mini either between a Screwdriver & Timmy (or after the Timmy)...

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

The question is 18v or 9v...

The wait is killing me!

10. erksin

erksin Member

The voltage used really depends on what kind of feel you're going for - it'll be tighter and punchier at 18v.

11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

So are we looking at an overdrive or a fuzz here? Love old Ampegs so my curiosity is peaked, but I'm not entirely sure where this one falls.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Its an overdrive designed for bass and guitar - quite a lot of gain on tap, but I don't think it quite makes it to fuzzland.

13. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Care to draw any comparisons/differences between the SFT & HBOD?

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Thanks - now THAT'S customer service. I actually have a Semaphore coming from a dealer in the next couple of days - first Catlinbread for me. Look forward to hearing it.

15. buddachile

buddachile Member

I like how my SFT sounds with a Timmy in front of it. (It sounds great on its own too.)

16. erksin

erksin Member

Not really. :p

Watch the vids that are more Stonesy in nature on our site - those should give you a decent take on its low gain sounds.

17. TMock

TMock Silver Supporting Member

Both pedals are highly input sensitive and have a great feel. The SFT's EQ has great versatility, and it has a huge gain range. The HBOD has far, far less gain and a versatile, yet unconventional tone control (the nature knob).

To my ears, the SFT has a much more muscular, aggressive tone than the HBOD, even at low gain levels. The HBOD has a sweet rounded tone, even at full grind, where the SFT has a bit more of an edge, especially with the treble dialed up.

If you want sweet, syrupy tweed grind, it doesn't get much better than the HBOD. But if you want rock and roll, the SFT is a much better choice.

18. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Perfect. Thanks so much. I have a HBOD that I'll never part with, but that is it's own thing. What you've described gives me much more of a reason to go for a SFT. Only reason I asked is some of the descriptions from Catalinbread's site gave me the impression that there could be some similarities. Thanks again!

19. TMock

TMock Silver Supporting Member

I think there definitely are some very general similarities that people are right to mention: like the pedals' input sensitivity, amplike feel, EQ versatility, etc. But I think the tones are very different. I could definitely see having a use for both.

20. hey_day

hey_day Member

i want one, anyone care to work out a trade? im fine to take a hit on it! pm me....please!