Catalinbread Silver Kiss - my review

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
Okay gang, here's my first review after playing the Silver Kiss for a week now. In short, I LOVE IT!! My current set up is a modded Blues Junior, Barber Tone Press, and PB&J delay. I have a Chorus Factory pedal from Digitech but seldom use it - great pedal, I'm just moving towards a more organic tone. Anyhoo, after playing the Silver Kiss I have a few thoughts/observations:
  1. Clean boost - excellent feature, with the 3-band EQ you can go from scooped mid/vintage Blackface clean to a Vox-like chimey clean with accentuated mids and highs.
  2. Three band EQ - this is the best thing I have used on any overdrive pedal. I have owned the Bad Monkey which I love for the Bass and Treble features but did not care for the gain itself. I also had the Barber Direct Drive which had great gain but not enough tonal options even with the internal trim pots. The Silver Kiss is the best of both worlds for me. The EQ is very interactive. Cranks the mids and back off on the bass and treble and you can get the Tubescreamer vibe. Crank the Treble and back off the bass and you get a snarly Treble boost. The EQ does affect the amount of gain and volume so you will adjust to taste and always find a useful tone. I prefer to keep the gain no higher than noon.
  3. Quietness/Interactivity- this pedal is very quiet. With my Direct Drive and Tone Press I had a lot of hum and would pick up radio stations, the Silver Kiss has much less hum and no classic rock radio! I can now use my SD pickups in single coil mode and actually enjoy them! The Silver Kiss works very well with the Tone Press - it smooths out the grit yet keeps the dynamics and fattens up the tone. Great combination!
  4. Dumble tone? - flame away, but I felt I had a great Robben Ford thing going last night with the slapback delay, Tone Press and the Silver Kiss set as follows - gain at noon, volume at unity, treble at noon, mids at 3:00, bass at noon. To my ears, I had the chewy, chirpy D-Tone close enough for my ears. Without the Tone Press, it had more of a standard Tubescreamer grit. Wow!!
Catalinbread has a beautiful looking and sounding pedal in the Silver Kiss and I will keep my eyes and hears out for future ideas from these guys! Thanks for reading and please share any thoughts/settings on the Silver Kiss!

Cheers!

:BEER

ford

Modz
Staff member
I have number 93 of the CaberetLinda version.. it is my favorite OD ever. It can be very bright. I know they offer a mod to lessen some of the brightness but I haven't sent mine in yet. I'm really not sure I need to, although if it offered a little bit more variety with the treble knob I might get around to it.

I use mine mostly from low to mid gain. It's great with a booster also....!

rock

bford

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Are you referring to clean boost as a separate feature, or as a way of using the 3 knob equalizer adjustments? BTW: I like mine too. Interesting sounds in here.

ahltarocka

Silver Supporting Member
I never quite could connect with this pedal, just not as good as some of my other OD's. Sold it on Ebay. Have an E, GSR and BOR and Plextortion.

ROCKOUT!!!:RoCkIn

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
Are you referring to clean boost as a separate feature, or as a way of using the 3 knob equalizer adjustments? BTW: I like mine too. Interesting sounds in here.
Sorry for the confusion - I did mean that to be separate. I think with the gain off the pedal is completely clean and transparent with the EQ flat.

:munch

ford

Modz
Staff member
I never quite could connect with this pedal, just not as good as some of my other OD's. Sold it on Ebay. Have an E, GSR and BOR and Plextortion.

ROCKOUT!!!:RoCkIn
That's cool. I liked it better than the E I had tried.

The producer of my bands recent cd wanted to buy mine. He loved it.

Bryan

therhodeo

Are you sure your radio signals was coming from the Barber pedals and not bad cables or something else in your chain?

Also yeah C-Bread makes great stuff. Too bad about those employees he has to put up with though.

catalinbread

Are you sure your radio signals was coming from the Barber pedals and not bad cables or something else in your chain?

Also yeah C-Bread makes great stuff. Too bad about those employees he has to put up with though.
:FM Catalinbread employees are the best part about the company!

:BEER

Wait! Shouldn't you be in class? :p

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I'm using the Fender Acoustisonic Plantinum 12' cable into the pedals and a Live Wire Oxygen Free shielded 3 ' cable to my amp. I'm using 3" right angle connectors between pedals. The Direct Drive always picked up radio at low gain and it was even worse with the Tone Press engaged. Now, I have no radio signal from the Tone Press or Silver Kiss. I loved the DD but that got annoying as well as the low end not being full enough for me.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I just got one in trade. So far, I'm really liking it. But I can't get the manual to work from the web site so it's all "trial and error" so far. I've tried 2 different computers and I just can't get the PDF to open. Can anyone help?

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
I just got one in trade. So far, I'm really liking it. But I can't get the manual to work from the web site so it's all "trial and error" so far. I've tried 2 different computers and I just can't get the PDF to open. Can anyone help?
You don't need it. It's a sheet of paper explaining the knob functions - the rest is up to you.:cool:

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
Sweet...
I have #3, and it's replaced the whole Timmy, Red Snapper, Honey Bee, Eternity thang. Amazing box, that Silver Kiss. It can actually sound like shades of all those pedals.

-Ben
That's is interesting because I was looking at the Timmy and Red Snapper before the Silver Kiss. I don't have the $$$ for a Honey Bee or Eternity so it's good to hear that kind of feedback!

:munch

Trending Topics