Cataract Surgery

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Maltese Fan, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Anybody ever have cataract surgery?
    I went in to an opthalmologist inquiring about lasek or prk. He suggested cataract surgery since I have early stage cataracts. Having it done this upcoming week. Going for multi focal lenses.

2. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

My cataract surgery came a year after a detached retina. It was a painless and easy procedure, but...

I have an implanted lens that reflects/refracts light from the side like a prism. It’s annoying as hell when light comes from the side at night and if the other side ever needs it I doubt I’ll be driving at night.

Daytime vision is great though.

scottlr likes this.
  3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

How long ago did you have this done?

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

Had cataract surgery last year. My insurance didn’t cover
    the laser procedure to remove the old lens so I paid out of pocket for that, $1500 per eye.

I could have opted for the older procedure, no laser and it would have been paid.

Easy procedure, great vision.

5. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

Cataract surgery 2018.

Retina repair 2017.

EDIT: My intraoccular lens is an Abbott Model ZA9003

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Very similar situation here. Surgery was painless and took 15 minutes. Mine was a couple of months after detached retina surgery.

7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Same here. I had two detached retina surgeries(same eye) last year, and the cataract started forming almost immediately. I had the cataract surgeries(both eyes) this year. My right eye had very little cataract but insurance allowed the surgery after the left eye was done. Because of the retina surgeries I did not meet the criteria for the multi-focal lens, so I need reading glasses. Mostly a very positive experience but having to have readers everywhere takes some getting used to, but it beats having to wear glasses all the time like I have for the past 50 years.

noley likes this.
  8. drewl

drewl Member

My dad had it back in the 90's

Had a cool video of it, giant eyeball on the screen, creepy!

I gotta' dig that tape up wherever it is, freaky.

9. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Its a routine procedure. But be aware, your eyeball still changes as you get older, and so does your vision.

84superchamp likes this.
  10. Shnook

Shnook Member

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 6 weeks apart. I was only 44 at the time and my optometrist was astonished that I had lost 80% of my vision in my left from the cataract. That eye was done first. Easy painless and amazing once I got outside. Fall was in full color and I’d never seen the world so clearly. I couldn’t wait to get my right eye done.

Opposite experience with the right eye unfortunately. It was painful! I felt everything he was doing. Thankfully I have a decent tolerance of pain. That day and night my eye continued to sting badly and I mentioned it to the doctor on my follow up visit the next day. He blew it off and said sometimes it’s painful sometimes it’s not. Anyway, that eye hurt for months after. Finally the pain eased up but I did have to go back and have them laser a fold in the lens in that eye a few months later.

I had an issue with my eyes being dry after the surgeries and was told to use eye drops. That helped for about 6 months until I developed an allergy to the eye drops! I basically had pink eye for 5 weeks because they sent me home with more eye drops...that I was also allergic to. I finally cleared that up on my own using a mixed of organic raw honey and fresh spring water. Haven’t e had an issue with dryness since.

So we’re now 5 years later. I still see well but I do need to have laser work done on the lens in my left eye. You can develop a film over the lens in time. You’ll see halos around lights at night. But I see MUCH better than before cataract surgery and I’m very glad to have had it done.

11. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I have early stages as well, may I ask how old you are? I'm coming up on 60 and it's not time for me yet. I do have severe astigmatism that won't get fixed by surgery without an improvement in technology and technique. My dad had cataract surgery in his late 70s early 80s.

12. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I've had it in both eyes and it worked out very well. My cataracts were caused by Prednisone. Very annoying until I had the surgery.

13. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

I had it done last year went well cost me about $5000 to get the multifocal lenses but it was worth it .

I can see at night driving again but the first few months were tough after the surgery ....

I just developed a floater last week which really irritates me but I’m getting old so I have 2020 vision in almost 60-year-old eyes

84superchamp likes this.
  14. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I had cataract surgery in my early ‘40’s, likely caused by x-ray exposure early in my career.
    Colors will be amazing! You will see true white again. I found glare to be really bothersome and always wear polarized wrap around sunglasses when outside. Everyone should do that anyway - the sun is not a friend to your eyes.

FFOGG and jimmyj like this.
  15. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Had one eye done a year ago .....amazingly straight forward procedure( took about 10 minutes) .....pre & post op painless as well .... no negatives.

16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Had my cataract surgery in 2017.

It was preceded by the discovery of a retinal tear and subsequent procedure to repair it. After being given a choice of repair options, all of which were invasive, I chose the option in which fluid is drained from the eye and a gas bubble is implanted. This option had the highest percentage rate of success but would deprive the lens of nutrients, leading to cataract. The other options looked worse.

Anyway, the cataract surgeon put off surgery for several months, proving to me he wasn't the type to just go to the knife ASAP to get my money. He wanted to see how well I could get by with just a change of prescription. Several months later he determined the cataract had gotten so thick that surgery was the way to go - there were concerns about no longer being able to see my retina and thus make sure it wasn't developing new tears. I was given the option of going with multi-focal vs. single focus etc.

After some research, I decided not to pay the extra $4000 out of pocket and go with the single focus lens. Single focus doesn't mean you have to stand exactly X feet and Y inches away from a sign or else you can't read it. It does mean though that you'll probably have to either get reading glasses - if your replacement single focus lens is set for distance vision, or at least two pairs of glasses - one for reading, one for distance, or glasses with progressive lens. My "good" eye is so near-sighted that I would get headaches if my "bad" eye got the lens for 20/20 distance vision, because the difference in lens power would be too much. So the replacement lens installed during cataract surgery is somewhat near-sighted so I can wear glasses.

I understand some peeps cannot stand progressive lens. For me it has worked out fine. I just had to get used to looking at screens, books, magazines, etc. from a certain angle. No more admiring pretty ladies with sideways glances.

17. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Got mine done a little over 3 years ago, 1 week apart for the surgeries. It was like a miracle, vision so clear it almost hurt.
    I was a bit miffed that i had to wait so long; every yearly visit to my optometrist, i complained about my right eye which was so bad i couldn't see sh*t but he just said "you"re not ready yet (it took his recommendation for surgery for my company insurance to pay for it) but finally at my last visit, i explained the difficulty of driving at night and he said i was ready.
    1st surgery, right eye, not enough anesthetic and it hurt....i was gripping the side of the bed and almost crushing it. 2nd surgery, the next week, i complained to the receptionist about the pain and she said she would forward that info and sure enough, pain-free.
    They offered the corrective lens implant, $1,500 per eye out of pocket but i passed...my older brother did it and it gave him problems. I preferred to use reading glasses.
    @Maltese Fan , you will be amazed. After so many years of "2nd class vision", the sudden clarity (after a couple of days) is awesome!

18. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to be 54 this month, (for someone who asked). Going in Wednesday to get it done. Excited.

ellis dee likes this.
  19. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Good luck tommorrow

Maltese Fan likes this.
  20. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Thanks.