Category 5 Amps - Andrew

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mmarchi21, Feb 7, 2015.

1. mmarchi21

mmarchi21 Silver Supporting Member

With all the discussions on different amp builders and amps I'm surprised there is not much mention of Category 5 along with other builders such as Tone King, RedPlate, etc. I've got a Cat 5 Andrew amp and, for me, it's a dream amp with incredible touch sensitivity. Anyone else out there playing Cat 5 and what model(s) do you have?

2. beatnik

beatnik Member

I have a category 5 Tsunami. It is my desert island amp for sure. It is a 3 dimensional dream. It is so touch sensitive. I can go from clean to distorted just by how hard I strike the strings. I am so confident in the construction that I gig her without a backup with complete confidence. She is super quiet at idle even when she is cranked��.

Fantastic amp/fantastic builder and company!

Beatnik

3. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Samantha Fish runs a Cat5. Check out her "I Put a Spell on You" vid on YouTube. Wonderful expressive tone. Wish I could afford one.

4. blues

blues Supporting Member

Anders Osborne uses the 1900 head as well as his own signature amp. But the Cat 5 website does not seam to be updated.

5. Category 5

Category 5 Member

New site coming soon - been backlogged for 4-6 months since we started in 2006.

DonR

6. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I had a chance to demo the Andrew for a month or so and it was amazing. The only mistake was that I did not buy it. Don has top notch customer service and builds one heck of an amplifier.

7. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Well, We still sell them so you can fix that mistake anytime:)

DonR

ddbruni likes this.
  8. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Don - You guys going to Nashville Amp Expo this year? Love talking amps with you guys every year.

9. blustrat

blustrat Member

cat 5 andrew 4x10 .... nice

10. Gobnew

Gobnew Member

I'm a happy Cat 5 owner, here are my babies :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So on top is a JB Silver Jubilee, then a Patrick custom based on the Katrina model and last but not least an AVA (Warren Haynes flavour).
    They are amazing amps, with the Patrick you can find Vox tones and with the Ava you have a soldanish sound.

I love them and Don is a real nice guy !

PS : On these pictures, three Cat 5 amps but only one real Cat :rotflmao

11. Category 5

Category 5 Member

we are looking at it, need to nail down some logistics for Nashville

Don

12. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

From what I see, tons of Nashville session cats ( no pun intended) are using cat 5 amps, as well as guitarists with huge artists in country/rock, correct me if I'm wrong Don... Would love to see more press on these amps, every record that I believe they are on sound absolutely amazing.

13. Category 5

Category 5 Member

They have made it on a bunch of records. All of Kenny Chesney, all of Toby Keith, a good bit of Carrie Underwood, some Keith Urban and Rascall Flatts, and lots of Bonamassa and Warren Hanyes records over the last 7 years. Was just with Rob McNelley last night who's on the Seger tour. We don't do alot of press, we stay busy building amps.

DonR

14. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

I was going to mention rob mcnelley... He is probably my favorite "unknown" guitarist, love his work with randy houser lately, and his tone. Wonder if the new record is category 5 Amps...

The new Kenny Cheney record has some of the best tone I've ever heard as well, the kerrang on " till its gone" is stunning, dying to know what that is on that record.

15. Category 5

Category 5 Member

that would be Kenny Greenburg's signature model amp, a KG-50. tweed deluxe ch1 and d-30 style ch2 with a couple tweaks.

DonR

16. guitarman23

guitarman23 Member

I've been gigging a 35 watt Vera for 2 years. It's an amazing amp based on Warren Haynes's Soldano and Diaz. Highly recommended! I've also owned an Andrew w was also incredible.

17. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

There's a couple of Category 5 amps currently listed for sale on ebay. One is a 1x12 Tsunami combo and the other is a 2x12 Tempest a combo. I'm not affiliated with either seller.

18. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Tried a Category 5 amp a while back and needed something lighter weight in the end - but, I remember Don being a really great guy to work with. He even called me from a BBQ to see how I was getting on with the amp. Loved the customer service and would definitely be back to talk if they do a little practice amp in the near future.