Category 5 Tsunami

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beatnik, Oct 13, 2008.

1. beatnik

beatnik Member

Wow! I picked this amp up on Friday and could hardly stop playing all weekend. My wife just laughed at the stupid grin I had (still have) on my face all weekend.

Then I used it when I led worship on Sunday morning and man, it completely shined.:dude

I used my mid-eighties franken-strat (burled maple neck with ebony board and emg SAs) and the amp to create the most amazing piano like clean tones. In my in-ears I could make my guitar blend with the keyboard player until I could only tell the difference between the two by listening to the voicings of the chords.

And then when I kicked both channels (Marshall 18 watt and plexi inspired) on together I got this great, huge, 3 dimensional overdrive that just made me grin as it kicked booty all through the sanctuary. My fellow guitar players were quite jealous and appreciative of the sound the thing generated.

We are playing a youth festival this weekend and I really can't wait to crank that dude and let it run because the organizer has given us permission to let the horses off the traces and let our jam band mentalities run wild.

Don and Steve at Category 5 have made an awesome amp!

I should have called in sick today and stayed home to play some more.

Oh yeah, the labrador gives the amp two dew-claws up. He 'sang' with me for about the first 20 minutes I was playing.

Is it five o'clock yet? I think I feel a rock and roll pneumonia coming on, I should leave so it does not spread.:banana

Woo-hooo!!!!

beatnik

2. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Nice! Congratulations on the new amp!

S2 builds awesome amps for sure. I've got a Matchless Lightning head he built for me and it's a fantastic amp.

Incidentally, my labrador likes to sing along as I play too, and man let me tell you, she is soulful! :AOK

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Hello Beatnik,

Sounds like your enjoying it-thanks for the kind words. Let us know if there are any questions with the amp. Did it come with a footswitch? There is a footswitchable midboost on the plexi channel-it uses a standard switch, or just let me know if you didn't get one with it and i'll give you one. THe input is between the preamp tubes. THe other 1/4 jack by the power tubes is a speaker extention jack.

Enjoy!!

DonR

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Any dealers up here in Canada? I'd love to test drive one.

5. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

6. BigJamesyBoy

BigJamesyBoy Member

Me too, but I'm in Washington State!

7. Category 5

Category 5 Member

There are pics out on our site www.category5amps.com

We sell direct, and have a no questions 14 day return policy, so if your not happy with it just send it back. Call us and we can help you make an informed decison. If we have a demo available we sometimes will ship it out for a trial.

The best would be to come to the Arlington Guitar Show-we will have one there(along with one of just about everything we make)

thx for the interest!

DonR

8. beatnik

beatnik Member

I will shoot some photos tonight after the offspring's baseball game and try to post them then. I was going to shoot them last night but I started playing with the amp and as Mel Brooks says, "Affairs of state must take precedent over...uh, affairs of state."

I don't know if you guys saw on the website but like many other amps are described, the thing is built like a tank. The tubes from my cursory (too busy playing the thing) look are very well secured and they look like you have to be very intentional about removing them. My last amp (hrdlx)gave me fits at one gig and when I was done I found that the power tubes had come loose in transit so the amp was acting all loosey goosey.

Don thanks for the offer of help. You are right, the footswitch did not make the transition. I will get with you off line about that. I wish I could make the Arlington guitar show :cry: and see the rest of your 'toys'. But trying to shoe horn the guitar Show and the youth festival into one day might get me the priviledge of by-passing the couch and going straight out to the "dogloo".:nono

Oh, well... maybe I should encourage the Mrs to go have a spa day and then I will be free... hmmmm... sounds like a plan.

Beatnik

9. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

Hey Don,
    Where can a guy try one of your amps out (I'm in south western Ohio)???
    I've heard nothing but great things about your amplifiers for a while now!

Beatnik- sounds like you're gonna be happy for a long time to come with the new amp! Kudos!!!

10. beatnik

beatnik Member

Thanks Redd... I hope you get to try out one of those babies and it trips your tonal trigger.

Beatnik

11. beatnik

beatnik Member

[​IMG]
    The Front

[​IMG]

Il capo. The left side is the volume/tone and the right is volume TMB and a knob that acts to move the amp from single ended to push/pull (very cool, it thickens the sound up considerably going to push/pull).

[​IMG]

What wonderful wiring!

[​IMG]

Za back

I did not get to play the dude last night but oh well, the boys won their baseball game. They came back from being 10 runs down in two innings while shutting the other team out during those two innings. It was very exciting.

b

12. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Beatnik,

The arlington show is friday sat sun, so you may still be able to squeeuze it in. We will have just about one of everything(this has never happened before). hope you can make it. I'll give you a footswitch.

Don